Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Camry problem

SebTheGreat
02-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi, about a week ago my charge light and brake lights on my dash came on. I figured there was something wrong with the display and that it wasnt a big problem. But, yesterday as i was driving to work i felt my car slowly losing power, first the radio died then my windows went up and down really slowly, and finally when i parked it i couldnt start it. I assumed the battery was dead, so i just replaced it and the lights on the dash are still on and im afraid that the same draining thing will happen again. Any ideas what the problem is?

Daniel M. Dreifus
02-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Those lights mean the alternator is not charging the battery.
Try replacing the brushes first - unless you already have a replacement alternator, then just replace it again, but if you have the original, change the brushes since the quality of rebuilts can be poor.

Mike Gerber
02-17-2006, 02:06 PM
^^
Exactly what Daniel said. It means the alternator is not charging the battery. Before replacing the alternator or the alternator brushes, you may want to check the tension of the alternator belt.

IMHO, when replacing items like alternators and starters, I have found it best to try to find an auto electrical rebuilding shop in your area and have them rebuild your original unit, rather than getting an off the shelf rebuilt unit at an auto parts store. I have found you usually get a better quality rebuilding job that way and it generally costs around the same.

Mike

SebTheGreat
02-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys

RIP
02-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Yup, sounds like the alternator is toast. An easy way to verify is to measure the voltage across the battery terminals. Should be about 12 VDC. Now start the car and measure it again. It should read 14-15VDC, indicating the alternator is supplying a sufficient charge voltage. If you still get 12VDC or less, go get new brushes or a new alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!