Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Blazer owner - a few questions

00BlazLT
02-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Hello everyone. I ran across this site bout a week ago and i have read alot of the posts pertaining to blazers....alot!

I purchased a 2000 Blazer LT from a local auction. I got what i feel is a good deal. $6700 for it and it has just under 54k. The local dealerships couldnt touch this price especially when you factor in the loan interest. So i bit the bullet and just paid cash. Big hit for now but in the long run theres no comparison.

I have the 4 wheel drive blues (it doesnt work). I am currently looking into that and i am following the flow chart of possible problems and hopefully soon i will track down the problem. It has the dash buttons with Auto, 4 hi, 4 low, and 2 hi. It just flashes when 4hi is tried.

I have a couple questions not pertaining to that tho. I am looking into a cold air intake and new exhaust. The exhaust i am going to get done tomorrow. I am either going to have duals put on it or a nice single exhaust. I saw a post that discussed good exhaust options but i cannot locate it again for some reason. I am thinking stainless for its longevity and i live in ohio so the winters can be a bit tough with the salt and cold. Any input or links to a post would be greatly appreciated.

The cold air intake i am looking into is a K & N setup. I can get it for $200 new. It looks like a quality item but some feedback never hurts from folks who have seen it in action. Heres a link to it. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-3017-2

Once the weather breaks a bit i am going to do the tranny service and other motion fluids...differential, etc. I have changed the oil and greased the fittings that allow it. I have no idea on the service records of this vehicle but its runs/rides real nice.

Again let me say hello and i look forward to hangin around here and readin up on all the excellent info this site has to offer. :smokin:

nickledimed
02-17-2006, 07:11 AM
A GREAT BIG WELCOME!!!
Sounds like your on the right track. got a good deal there. dont forget to unleash those horses under the hood by doing the throttle plate mod and the map mod.....you think the thing runs good now?...wait till you do those....
Again...welcome to the best 10 forum on the web.....

2kTrailBlazer
02-17-2006, 08:28 AM
00blazerlt, Im from Cleveland i feel your pain on the weather. I have to replace my front dif, sat is my only day to do it. and the high is like 18 degrees! lol...In regards to your questions, the 4x4 is a hard system for me. I dont know much... One thing i know is that mine wouldnt go in eitheir it would just flash as well for about 5 mins...then finally it started going in but ran like shit. then one day i put it in to 4x4 and the thing stopped driving i was going around 25 mph and it came to a stop...now my front dif is bad i think it is all related , at least i hope. good luck

nickledimed- whats with those mods you were talking about? havent heard nething about them.
and email or thread reply would be appreciated thanks!

s10blazerman4x4
02-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I wouldnt recommend the MAF mod at all.

Also instead of that KN why not get one from a guy on Ebay and save some coin. I know for a fact alot of guys on here run them and for 50 bucks thats alot better than throwing down the 200+ for KN.

4x4 have you tried to remove the battery cable and see if it comes back in?

Also welcome to the forum from me and the rest of the boys. Look into the FAQ on your 4x4 problem. Im not sure at the moment if we got anything there on that for ya or not.

Anywho just always search before you make a new thread and enjoy the fun. Come meet us in the off topic thread.

nickledimed
02-17-2006, 10:31 AM
The throttle plate mode is here: http://www.blueblazer.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11583...its also in a thread I started called throttle plate mod.....The MAP mod is in this forum somewere but do not remember were...youll have to do a search...thats how I found it......
As for the MAP mod, The only thing I can see any use for the screen in front of the sensors is to protect them....if you have a filter on...there is your protection.....but anywho: I have been finding stuff all over this truck that the GM engineers has done to detune the 4.3....Ive started calling these things....GRIMLINS.....

nickledimed
02-17-2006, 11:06 AM
MAF?...figures I would get that wrong......im such a doof....anyways I dont see any reason for the screen on the MAF except to protect the sensors and I thought that was what the air filter was for Plus It does blocks alot of air....I took mine off and have not had any problems with it yet.....for finding the procedure for doing it I had to do a search on this forum for it.
As for the throttle plate mod go here: http://www.blueblazer.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11583
or try these...
http://www.sshotrods.com/fullsize/4.3/maf/

http://www.sshotrods.com/fullsize/4.3/tb/

Add your comment to this topic!