Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Dodge 1500 Heater Core

dksram
02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Does anyone have any instructions on how to replace the heater core?
Sorry,but it's hard for me to give up 30.00 for a book that is limited on how to do this.Telling me to remove this screw and that core,then reverse for install,with no photos.:banghead:

Thanks in advance

dadof4s
02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have any instructions on how to replace the heater core?
Sorry,but it's hard for me to give up 30.00 for a book that is limited on how to do this.Telling me to remove this screw and that core,then reverse for install,with no photos.:banghead:

Thanks in advance

My Haynes manual has pics on how to do this. The process is very wordy. Would you like for me to e-mail it to you?

dksram
02-20-2006, 11:07 PM
My Haynes manual has pics on how to do this. The process is very wordy. Would you like for me to e-mail it to you?

Please send them.Anything will help. Thanks

scoutinkeith
02-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I could be wrong, but I think on the 94 and up dodges, you have to pull the entire dash to get to the heater coor.

dadof4s
02-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I could be wrong, but I think on the 94 and up dodges, you have to pull the entire dash to get to the heater coor.

Yes you do. According to the manual, it is quite an extensive, time consuming project.

tony36
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
I've done a dozen or so of these. First thing, don't let it intimidate you, it's not that hard. Dodge dealer wanted to charge me $700 to replace the core, the core was $250, so it is worth doing it yourself. It takes me @ 30 min to do it but it you havent done it before, @1.5 hr. First, remove panel under steering colum, disconnect wire to gear indicator{if auto} you will need to shift to low for dash clearance.Remove plastic kick panels on both sides.You will see 1 nut on each side, loosen until the bracket lip clears. Back to steering colum, remove cross bar, then drop steering colum. It will lay on seat. You can remove plastic trim on dash, it just pops off, do this so you don't scratch it. Remove all bolts in dash up near the windshield. IF you want to totally remove the dash, there is alot more, but it is not required to change core, you can just pivot the passenger side onto the seat and you have plenty of room. Once the dash is out of the way you need to go under the hood. disconect heater hoses. Now you must remove the computer from the firewall{a bolt that hodls the heater assembly is under it} DO NOT DISCONNECT THE WIRING HARNESS If you do it resets the computer(expensive) Now you will see the core in the heater assbl. when you pull back the dash but it slides straight down into the housing so you must unbolt the assembly to pull it back to get enough clearance for the inlet tubes. Replace it and reverse the proccess. I know it sounds like a lot, but once you tear into it you will realize that it's pretty simple. Pretty much everything in the dashes of this body style are easy access. Good luck. If you have any questions I will check back on this post. Tony

Add your comment to this topic!