Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car rolls while in park!!!

supersteff
02-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey I'd like to ask anyone if they've ever heard of a problem with a 2001 blazer lt rolling while in park?? I noticed the problem yesterday when I parked in my driveway and found that a few hours later, the car was on the sidewalk. I have no idea what could be causing the problem! I chalked the car, but it continues to roll visibly as soon as the chalk is removed. Anyone with any advice please let me know!!

83T/A98Blazer
02-16-2006, 09:41 PM
It could be something as simple as your shift cable out of adjustment. Does your shifter feel like it's working as normal? If not the cable, probably an internal problem in the trans. Most of the parts involved in the park mode are accessible just by dropping the pan. Could be a broken parking pawl, or the rod that engages it. I doubt very much the parking gear itself is the problem, which is the only part that would require pulling the trans. Should be a pretty simple fix, something you may be able to do yourself, or an easy fix for a TRUSTWORTHY shop.

supersteff
02-16-2006, 09:51 PM
well, i don't know enough about cars to tell you exactly what i think is potentially wrong with it, but i can tell you that the car does shift from park to drive with little resistance, but that little 'shunt' you normally get when the car shifts out of park no longer occurs. I don't know what you can tell me from that, sorry...

kb3jhp
02-16-2006, 10:11 PM
the problem is most likely the cabel dont you use the hand brake you really should

JoulesWinfield
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
"Hand brake"???
Your Blazer has a hand brake?

I would think that its just a matter of adjusting the linkage.

In the past I had a similar problem.

kb3jhp
02-17-2006, 04:12 PM
sorry Emergency brake i am use to calling it that my vw had a hand brake

supersteff
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I managed to find the problem...the parking pawl was jammed. I unjammed it and retensioned the cable connecting it. Thanks very much to everyone that posted! The help was very much appreciated!!

Add your comment to this topic!