Good morning Gentlemen!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Guiddy
08-09-2001, 05:02 AM
What are your modelling plans today?

I want to spray most of the components on Tamiya's WRX, and visit a Model shop further from Town to see if I can get a Tamiya R34 kit for the body.
And post Ales' Merc DTM car!

ales
08-09-2001, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Guiddy

I want to spray most of the components on Tamiya's WRX, and visit a Model shop further from Town to see if I can get a Tamiya R34 kit for the body.
And post Ales' Merc DTM car!

I like the last item on your agenda veryt much! :)

I'll be doing some bits and pieces, and will try to find the letters for the police car... not too sure if I'll be able to though...

primera man
08-09-2001, 05:24 AM
nothing today...just got out of the fart sack and off to work at 11pm:bloated: :bloated:

Off to the model shop later today......i'm going to have a go at a truck of same kind and paint it up as a "Race car team" that can be used to carry a T/F Funny car etc.
I'm searching around the net at the moment to see what i can get.
If i cant find anything i'll just do a trailer to go on to a car to carry a BTCC Car.

ales
08-09-2001, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by primera man
nothing today...just got out of the fart sack

????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Weird kiwi...

primera man
08-09-2001, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by ales

????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Weird kiwi...

THE BED MAN !!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...You need to vist this country

Guiddy
08-09-2001, 07:17 AM
The weather here isn't anything, sort of a cool, cloudy day!:rolleyes:
Should be good enough to spray in though!
I have to go into work at 4pm and finish off a network installation!:mad:

Guiddy
08-09-2001, 07:37 AM
i'm going to have a go at a truck of same kind and paint it up as a "Race car team" that can be used to carry a T/F Funny car etc.
I'm searching around the net at the moment to see what i can get.
If i cant find anything i'll just do a trailer to go on to a car to carry a BTCC Car.

I have done a few Trucks over the years....
I have a Peterbilt and transporter trailer set to build one day!
I just need something like 7 road cars to go on it first!!!
http://www.Cyber-Showroom.com/pics/Peterbilt.jpg
This one has to sit out of a case, and so is getting dusty! I really need to get a big display case like yours Warren!

primera man
08-09-2001, 07:46 AM
Thats the sort of thing want to do ... 1/24 scale so it can be part of a race car team.

ales
08-09-2001, 07:58 AM
Funny that you should mention trucks.

Does anyone make 1/43 European truck kits? I mean stuff like Scania, Volvo, and especially Iveco? I'd love to assemble one of those, but the 43 scale is necessary.

I have a number of Kamaz trucks in my collection, but these were not kits, but models.

Guiddy
08-09-2001, 08:05 AM
Funny that you should mention trucks.

Does anyone make 1/43 European truck kits? I mean stuff like Scania, Volvo, and especially Iveco? I'd love to assemble one of those, but the 43 scale is necessary.

I have a number of Kamaz trucks in my collection, but these were not kits, but models.

NO, trucks (large ones) are in 1/50th scale!

A company called Gamme makes 1/43rd paris Dakar Trucks though, the race/support ones.

Guiddy
08-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Well, my trip to Kettering was a big waste of time because the shops were CRAP!!!:mad:
What used to be a Beatties is now a Toymaster and it was full of kids stuff!
They had 5 Tamiya car kits, 5!!!
The only 2 decent ones were the Porsche GT1 and the Toyota GT-One!!! The Porsche I have got anyway!
The only one I had to think about was the Fujumi Garage set as I already have the tools!
I would rather use them in a rally stage scene anyway so I didn't bother!
What a waste of an afternoon, and this country is getting CRAP!!! It rained all afternoon so I didn't get any spraying done!!!
:rolleyes:

primera man
08-09-2001, 07:14 PM
Well i headed of to my local model shop ae well to look at a truck and trailer to do as a race team.
I only found 1 in the shop and they wanted $220.00NZ(100US/75UK) which i thought was way to much....back to looking over the net :rolleyes: :(

Guiddy
08-09-2001, 07:25 PM
The place I visisted today had the Revell Mercades truck and Race car trailers sets for sale. These were in both Ferrari Challenge and Scuderia Ferrari colours.
Nice looking, but a BIG project!!!

I am happy now anyway as I just won the Mazda 787B 1991 LeMans car in Gran Turismo 3!!!:D

primera man
08-09-2001, 07:32 PM
The place I visisted today had the Revell Mercades truck and Race car trailers sets for sale. These were in both Ferrari Challenge and Scuderia Ferrari colours.
Nice looking, but a BIG project!!!

Those are the 2 i was looking at...remember the price ?

The one he had was the "blue rebel"? (think thats what it was).

Real nice

MBTN
08-09-2001, 07:39 PM
I'm going to try to buy a used Traxxas Nitro 4-tec, maybe I'll get another body and make it super detailed.

Jay!
08-09-2001, 08:53 PM
Posted by Guiddy
I can't recall ever making progress by the day. :(

Let me know what you find out about the 1/24 sclae trucks, too. I was thinking of making something more like the enclosed race trailers that look like regular freight boxes from the outside, but are complete garages on the inside. Watch the beginning movie from GT1 for an example. :) I still want to built a one-car flat bed trailer, too, though.

ales
08-10-2001, 03:07 AM
Well, I had a long discussion with a guy at a local hobby shop. He is a cool dude. He sold me a body shell for one of my old broken models. Cool. I also got a lot of very useful information about modelling, paints, and stuff available in Estonia. Guess what: no letters for my police car! Argh!

As for today, I'll go and buy some clear spray to use on my otherwise almost finished 1/24. Wish me luck - I've never used spray cans before :)

Guiddy
08-10-2001, 03:43 AM

As for today, I'll go and buy some clear spray to use on my otherwise almost finished 1/24. Wish me luck - I've never used spray cans before :)

Careful with clear, it can do some horrible things! Go very light with it, especially for the irst few coats. It can shrink decals terribly!

primera man
08-10-2001, 10:58 AM

Careful with clear, it can do some horrible things! Go very light with it, especially for the irst few coats. It can shrink decals terribly!

....or stuff them up altogether...:mad: :mad: ...been there done that !!!!!

Guiddy
08-10-2001, 01:13 PM

Warren, is that Tamiya clear any kinder? The automotive lacquer I use can be terrible, and it is very fussy about what paint you apply it over!

ales
08-10-2001, 01:31 PM
...that's why I've tried it first on an unneeded decal.

Seems to be working well, although I don't expect any good results from this - the body is hand-painted with paintbrush. But I'm learning :)

how's that skyline doing?

Guiddy
08-10-2001, 03:24 PM
...that's why I've tried it first on an unneeded decal.

how's that skyline doing?

If you have hand painted it, it may be better to stay away! For some reason that can react! At least you'll learn if it messes it up though! What did you hand paint it with?

The Skyline (The Kure R33) is going slow, but progressing. I decided it needed more primer, so I am applying that. The subaru is doing superb, most of the whole kit has recieved it's base colour.

ales
08-10-2001, 04:01 PM

If you have hand painted it, it may be better to stay away! For some reason that can react! At least you'll learn if it messes it up though! What did you hand paint it with?

As it's a Revell kit, I used Revell enamel. The clear did not react with it, it looks OK for the first model, the next one will be better :) Am I repeating myself? :)

primera man
08-10-2001, 06:46 PM

Warren, is that Tamiya clear any kinder? The automotive lacquer I use can be terrible, and it is very fussy about what paint you apply it over!

I've had good resuilts from the Tamiya clear. As you said before...just very light coats.
I have only done a few and it seems OK as to what it goes over.

Guiddy
08-11-2001, 12:39 PM

As it's a Revell kit, I used Revell enamel. The clear did not react with it, it looks OK for the first model, the next one will be better :) Am I repeating myself? :)

Try the automotive paints next, as the shine you get is much softer and therefore looks more realistic.
For a race car I usually polish the paint but don't laquer the body. The cars can look too shiny if you laquer over the decals and polish the paint well!

primera man
08-11-2001, 07:14 PM

For a race car I usually polish the paint but don't laquer the body. The cars can look too shiny if you laquer over the decals and polish the paint well!

Good point.

There are only a few that i have done with the clear coat.
Most are just sprayed......left for 2-3 weeks, then i use Tamiya Compound before the decals, followed by Tamiya Modelling Wax for a nice finsh over the decals etc.

Guiddy
08-12-2001, 07:44 AM

...followed by Tamiya Modelling Wax for a nice finsh over the decals etc.

Do you find it ok to polish over decals? I would be worried about them lifting in the process! A case of a light hand?

primera man
08-12-2001, 08:02 AM

Do you find it ok to polish over decals? I would be worried about them lifting in the process! A case of a light hand?

The polish brings out a real nice look to the decal...very similar to polishing a car that hasn't been done for a long time :p

Just a very light rub over is all that is needed to bring that "deeper" look out in the decal and remove any water marks left by the decal

Guiddy
08-12-2001, 11:19 AM
I am going to try and get my hands on some then. I haven't seen it here before, so I may have a go at ordering it in.

primera man
08-12-2001, 04:33 PM
It's called Tamiya Modeling Wax and come's in a 30ml bottle and has a applicator cloth with it.
It's quite dear to buy ($20NZ) BUT YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED :) :)

Jay!
08-12-2001, 05:51 PM
For the record of my modeling progress, I started re-primer-ing my NSX yesterday.

Guiddy
08-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Excellente! Did you go for your method of removing the old paint?
What you gonna spray it with this time?
What was it that made it all go pear shaped?

Jay!
08-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Excellente! Did you go for your method of removing the old paint?
Yup. Castrol Super Clean stripped it good. :D
What you gonna spray it with this time?
Tamiya primer (white), Tamiya spray (TS-7: Italian Red) and some airbrushed Tamiya acrylic (X-1: Gloss Black) with an overcoat of Tamiya clear. Then comes the polishing...
What was it that made it all go pear shaped?
I'll interpret this question liberaly, and say that it was a bad masking job at a later stage that fudged it up for me. This time, I'll use a new tip: Mask, then spray with one more coat of the base color to seal the edges of the tape. :D

Guiddy
08-12-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Silver S2000

This time, I'll use a new tip: Mask, then spray with one more coat of the base color to seal the edges of the tape. :D

SO were you masking the black roof off or what?
Can you get Tamiyas masking tape, as it is by far the best and comes recommended. I wouldn't use anything else now.
Yep, use a brand new scalpel tip, a must!
Remember to lay the first coat on light too, as the paint seals the edge of the tape when it dries, and you can then go a little heavier on the next coat without leakage!

Jay!
08-12-2001, 06:34 PM
Yes. All black from the windowline up. I also cheated a bit and painted the top edge of the engine bay and vent at the same time.

The black leaked under the tape onto the red. :(

I had been using plain masking tape, but I'll be making a trip to the hobby store to find something better. I'll look for the Tamiya stuff. I may as well give them all my money. :rolleyes:

Guiddy
08-12-2001, 06:37 PM
I'll be making a trip to the hobby store to find something better. I'll look for the Tamiya stuff. I may as well give them all my money. :rolleyes:

Hehehehe! You might as well, they know their stuff!
You won't regret it!:biggrin2:

primera man
08-12-2001, 09:51 PM
Tamiya masking tape :) :) :)
Another good stuff is BARE-METAL FOIL ...it's rather dear but is good for around windows if you have to paint black on them.

Its also the stuff for doing any chrome trimmings on cars or behind clear head/tail lights.....looks better then any painting.

Jay!
08-12-2001, 09:57 PM
Another good stuff is BARE-METAL FOIL ...it's rather dear but is good for around windows if you have to paint black on them.
That's what it was! I'd forgotten that I'd done that! It was the Bare Metal Foil that leaked. It'll probably be fine now that I know to seal it with a coat of harmless paint before I use the new color!

Also, for window trim, they've started making black BMF. Good stuff.

primera man
08-12-2001, 10:15 PM
I'd only use it on the windows (BMF) and the Tamiya tape on the body.

Jay!
08-12-2001, 10:18 PM
When I did it the first time I did the edges with BMF, and trimed them with my #11 X-acto knife. Because I used fairly thin strips of BMF, I taped around the edges of that with regular masking tape. Then, I blocked of the rest with squares of this plastic cut from grocery store bags.

It was quite a get-up.

Guiddy
08-13-2001, 03:39 AM
The latest batch of BMF I bought is crap! Hardly sticky at all! I end having to glue most of it on, so I won't be using that for masking!!!:mad:

Jay!
08-13-2001, 04:31 AM
Wow! Sorry to hear it. :( Is this the first time you've used it?

primera man
08-13-2001, 05:32 AM
The latest batch of BMF I bought is crap! Hardly sticky at all! I end having to glue most of it on, so I won't be using that for masking!!!:mad:

I would only use the silver for masking if i had to....not the black etc.
Sorry guys...should have said that in my post early on. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guiddy
08-13-2001, 12:58 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear it. :( Is this the first time you've used it?

No, about the 3rd sheet I have bought! Guess it was a bad batch or something! Shame! It wasn't cheap!!!:mad:

JE123
08-13-2001, 06:45 PM
Today I painted my Pontiac Firebird Ram-Air. While I was spray painting it I noticed there were little bubbles in the paint. So I stripped all of the paint off. By the way this is the second time I had to strip the paint off of this particular model. Does anyone know what the bubbles could be caused from? Before I put the paint on I primered the body. So I don't know if that is what caused it.

primera man
08-13-2001, 06:55 PM
I have never struck this problem before :eek:

Only thing i can think off is, did you shake the can really really well ?
Or maybe i'm guessing the paint is to heavy when you are applying it.

Guiddy
08-13-2001, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by JE123
Today I painted my Pontiac Firebird Ram-Air. While I was spray painting it I noticed there were little bubbles in the paint. So I stripped all of the paint off. By the way this is the second time I had to strip the paint off of this particular model. Does anyone know what the bubbles could be caused from? Before I put the paint on I primered the body. So I don't know if that is what caused it.

What were you painting it with? Did you primer it first?
What did you do immediately before applying that paint?
We can get to the bottom of this, and I have had that problem before.
Give me some help, and we can narrow it down!

JE123
08-14-2001, 12:13 AM
I was painting with spray paint (Boyds Grape Pearl) and yes I primered it the day before. Before I put the spray paint on I just wiped any fibers off of the model. I am beginning to think that maybe it was the paint reacting with the primer. But I don't know.

Guiddy
08-14-2001, 04:00 AM
Before I put the spray paint on I just wiped any fibers off of the model...

WIth a wet cloth or dry?

primera man
08-14-2001, 05:00 AM
guiddy......i still think that the paint is being sprayed on to thick and to close. The air from the can is sraying to hard onto the model.
I had a play this afternoon on a old body shell and i was starting to get little bubbles in the paint (along with runs :p :p )

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Guiddy
08-14-2001, 05:17 AM
guiddy......i still think that the paint is being sprayed on to thick and to close. The air from the can is sraying to hard onto the model.
I had a play this afternoon on a old body shell and i was starting to get little bubbles in the paint (along with runs :p :p )

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yeah, the runs would signify that! He didn't mention runs though, which leads me to think it may be lack of shaking, or dampness under the paint which escapes through bubbles!
Sometimes I get bubbles at the end of a can, especilally white!:rolleyes:

primera man
08-14-2001, 05:21 AM
The couple of bubbles i did get i pricked them straight away with a needle and the paint then just bleeded into the rest and you could not see it.
Not a good idea if you have heaps of them

Guiddy
08-14-2001, 06:44 AM
The couple of bubbles i did get i pricked them straight away with a needle and the paint then just bleeded into the rest and you could not see it.
Not a good idea if you have heaps of them

He'll just have to let it dry and then get that 1200 wet and dry out! Flat it off, leave for 24 hours and try again...

JE123
08-14-2001, 12:57 PM

WIth a wet cloth or dry?

I just used my hand to wipe off any fibers.

Guiddy
08-14-2001, 01:48 PM

I just used my hand to wipe off any fibers.

OK, I would go with the not enough shaking/low on paint solution or too heavy a coat like Warren said?

JE123
08-14-2001, 05:45 PM
How many coats of paint do you usually put on a model? On your first coat do you cover everything or just lightly cover most of the areas? Do you primer every piece in a model (exept the windshield and lense)?

Guiddy
08-14-2001, 05:56 PM
How many coats of paint do you usually put on a model?

Always at least 4 coats on solid colours, about 3 if I am using a Basecoat/Lacquer

On your first coat do you cover everything or just lightly cover most of the areas? Do you primer every piece in a model (exept the windshield and lense)? [/B]

First coat pretty light, but even coverage. Light orange peel look!

Yep, everything is primered! Even if you then brush paint over it, it adheres and looks better!

Jay!
08-14-2001, 05:58 PM
I tend to cheat a bit and skip the priming on suspension parts if they're just going to be black. So far, so good. :rolleyes:

Guiddy
08-14-2001, 06:01 PM
I tend to cheat a bit and skip the priming on suspension parts if they're just going to be black. So far, so good. :rolleyes:

Tut Tut!http://preludeonline.com/images/nono.gif

JE123
08-14-2001, 06:47 PM
On the first coat should you still be able to see the white or whatever the plastic is molded in? And what is orange peel? Do you suggest Krylon Primer?

Add your comment to this topic!