Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Still having 2nd to 3rd shift problems.

rontomed
02-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Shifting from 2nd to 3rd still hangs up in 2nd at times. Someone told me a way to replace the old fluid without having to drop the pan is to disconnect the transmission fluid line at the radiaitor, measuring the amount drained and replacing it with fresh fluid. I would repeat the process after driving it for several days to replace more of the old fluid. Only a trickle flows out when I disconnect the line from the radiator. Should I start the engine so that the transmission will pump the fluid out? Will this damage the transmission? Should it be shifted to neutral?
:banghead:

TurboDuck
02-20-2006, 08:26 AM
You really should drop the pan. Not only will it drain better / faster, you can look in the bottom of the pan and see if there is any shrapnel in there. It's not really as bad a job as you'd think. Use a big / wide catch pan. I start by removing all of the rear pan bolts, then loosen the bolts on the sides starting from the rear. I always make sure the pan starts to drop before taking all the bolts out, otherwise you will have a mess on your hands. (Self) Once it starts to drop, it will pretty much drain from the rear. Then you can finish removing it.

dadof4s
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Should I start the engine so that the transmission will pump the fluid out? Will this damage the transmission? Should it be shifted to neutral?
:banghead:

This would be akin to removing an oil filter and then running the motor to drain your motor oil. You could do serious damage.

fredjacksonsan
02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
This would be akin to removing an oil filter and then running the motor to drain your motor oil. You could do serious damage.

I agree, if you run it for too long. However if you slightly overfill the trans before doing it, only run it long enough to get some out, then refill and never let the level get too low, it should work ok. Of course there's the big "BUT", which is if the pickup sucks air it's definitely a bad thing.

troy1
03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Most of the time a delayed 2-3 shift is an internal seal issue. The seal in question is the inner seal on the direct drum(3rd) the grove is cut to deep and as the seal ages and shrinks up it can no longer seal properly.

dadof4s
03-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Most of the time a delayed 2-3 shift is an internal seal issue. The seal in question is the inner seal on the direct drum(3rd) the grove is cut to deep and as the seal ages and shrinks up it can no longer seal properly.

I have had older pickups with shift problems. A can of Berryman's B-12 poured into the auto trans. and allowed to sit overnight will cause the seal to swell and elimanate any shift problems due to the seals.

rontomed
03-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I am being very careful to drain only 4 quarts at a time, filling a gallon jug each time. This takes only a few seconds of running the engine. I've done this 2 times, driving the truck for several days in between drainings. My shift problems appear to be gone. Thank you all for your postings.
:bananasmi

BleedDodge
03-05-2006, 11:12 PM
What was it really doing? Would it slip in between the 2-3 shift or would it just hold 2nd for a long time?

Sometimes I think the way my automatic shifts is weird...

rontomed
03-06-2006, 08:32 AM
It would hold onto 2nd to long. It never slipped. Also, you have to run the engine in drive with the parking brake on for the fluid to pump through the tube.
:cheers:

sneakybert
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
most of the time to repair this issue the trasmission needs to be overhauled . The root cause is worn out front clutch seals.

troy1
03-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Yes Direct (front clutch) inner seal is the problem. Please don’t waste to much time a money with additives and fluid changes. My 95 dakota does this very samething. I switched to dextron III which helped but still a very small delay. I have yet to pull it out and rebuild it but the direct clutches in mine a yours will be burnt because of the inner seal.

rontomed
06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Update. I had a transmission shop drop the pan & replace the fluid, gasket & filter. The tech showed me that he removed the original filter & gasket from my transmission. This was at 125,000 miles. This is my daily driver & my transmission is still shifting well.

Add your comment to this topic!