Quick Question....

Demike69ss
02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
i had just had my heads done to my 2000 jimmy and i have everything all put back to gether, but the question i have is do i need to build the oil pressure back up since i replaced the heads, and if so how do i do that? Thanx any help will be greatly appreciated.

CanukGMC
02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
i had just had my heads done to my 2000 jimmy and i have everything all put back to gether, but the question i have is do i need to build the oil pressure back up since i replaced the heads, and if so how do i do that? Thanx any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but that doesn't make much sense. The heads will have little effect on the oiling system, and even then you don't have to "build up" any pressure in the system since it's not exactly a true pressurized system (like for example the fuel delivery). Put new oil in (the required amount) and a new filter, done and done.

Teal95Jimmy
02-16-2006, 11:57 PM
i think demike is more worried about a dry start. when you get the heads rebuilt they are stripped clean of any grease and oil that was on them. usually after rebuilding an engine or changing the oil, i like to disconnect the coil (or full the fuel pump fuse) and crank the engine over to get some oil in there before i really fire it up. it fills the filter in the case of the oil change and will get oil on those new or rebuilt parts

CanukGMC
02-17-2006, 08:22 AM
i think demike is more worried about a dry start. when you get the heads rebuilt they are stripped clean of any grease and oil that was on them. usually after rebuilding an engine or changing the oil, i like to disconnect the coil (or full the fuel pump fuse) and crank the engine over to get some oil in there before i really fire it up. it fills the filter in the case of the oil change and will get oil on those new or rebuilt parts

That makes more sense I guess I didn't read that from his statement, yeah I'd crank it a few times to get oil on the parts. Don't forget when putting new oil in to fill up the oil filter too, that way there's less delay when cranking as it won't need to fill the filter then get to the parts.

Demike69ss
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanx for the help guys i got the oil pressure back up. Thanx for the info it really helped me out, i had the haynes manual but it did get real specific about it so i figured someone here could help out...thanx again

old_master
02-18-2006, 10:01 AM
In the case of an engine rebuild to prevent dry start up, priming the oil system is always recommended. To prime the system, remove the distributor and turn the oil pump drive shaft with an electric drill. This builds oil pressure and circulates the oil through the crankshaft, camshaft, etc just as though the engine were running. When cylinder heads are removed or replaced, priming the system is not necessary. The oil is not pressurized in the head. The oil drains by gravity back to the crankcase through return holes in the cylinder heads.

Add your comment to this topic!