Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Honda Accord EXR Intermittent Starts

peteyb
06-25-2002, 03:20 AM
1991 Honda Accord EXR Intermittent starts

Here is my challenge to the entire world of the internet. I recently bought a 1991 Honda Accord EXR. In the first week, I had to jump it 6 times. Then, for 4 weeks, it started every time perfectly. Now, it has gone back to the non-starting stage (starts 7 of 10 times). I have reviewed the previous owner’s records (something I should have done more carefully before buying!), and she had the battery changed 5oo km before I bought the car-not a good sign! She has also had the distributor changed 3 times (the clouds get darker)! My question is, does anyone know why my car won’t start.

So far, my research has lead me to possibilities of either the distributor, thermal coupler or cooling fan. I have noticed that the cooling fan often comes on and stays on for a long time after car is turned off. Could it be this is sucking the power and killing the car. When I try to start the car, there is no hint of turnover, but if I jump it, it starts every time (can this rule out a fuel pump relay problem?). Car will usually start if it has been driven a few hours earlier. The problem occurs in wet/dry cool/hot conditions.
If anyone has any idea how I can fix my problem or who has had similar problems, please, please (did I mention please?) let me know! I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Pete

sp3cial_bl3nd
07-17-2003, 02:47 PM
your cooling fan might be draining your battery. i've heard of accords running their cooling fan after you shut the car off and usually drains the battery. hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!