Scanning an 89 Park Avenue, will this work?

Troels
02-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi everybody, brand new here, just bought an 89 PA yesterday.

Take a look at this:

http://www.aldlcable.com/

According to them, the cable, a PC and software is all I need to pull codes,
can someone here confirm?
Any advise on the subject appreciated, I'm totally green.

The shop want's to charge me $70 just to scan, what's with that?
I have a service engine soon light on, and the car although it runs great, is not getting good gas milage. Someone here suggested replacing the oxygen sensor.

Thanks a lot!

Troels

Troels
02-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Allright, I used the paper clip method and pulled codes 14 and 22.
14 is about the coolant temperature beeing too high and 22 is about the TPS voltage being under 0.2 volts for 4 seconds.
Can anybody expand on this?

TIA

Troels

HotZ28
02-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Has it run hot? If not, you may need a CTS (coolant temp sensor). You need to check the TPS through the whole range (from idle to WOT). Do a search for TPS to get instructions. You should have 5.0 volts on the white wire and the blue is variable with the black as ground.

Troels
02-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Has it run hot? If not, you may need a CTS (coolant temp sensor). You need to check the TPS through the whole range (from idle to WOT). Do a search for TPS to get instructions. You should have 5.0 volts on the white wire and the blue is variable with the black as ground.

Thanks HotZ28, I just bought it, but I don't think it has run hot.
Anyway, I just left it with the mechanic who ok'ed it before I bought, he's going to replace the CTS and the TPS, hopefully that will do the trick.
He said that bad milage and cold start problems would be consistent with either or both of these gone bad.

Add your comment to this topic!