Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt R&R - Killer, or just a pita?

DPDogg
02-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I am hearing some sounds that suggest the TB tensioner may be going bad. I was wondering, from those that have actually done the R&R on the TB, if you would rate it a killer hard job - or just a painful afternoon type thing?

Standard tools ok, or does it require anything fancy?

highlandlake
02-15-2006, 02:42 PM
DPD, can we assume you are talking about your '95 with 3.2?

surferfletch
02-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Just takes time. Toughest part is breaking the crank bolt free. There are threads with a couple of options. I did it with a pipe wrench with an extension on the water pump pulley and a breaker bar with an extension on the bolt. How many miles on the belt/tensioner, and water pump?

redbug
02-16-2006, 10:25 AM
On my 4th timing belt with 206,000 miles. As said earlier, Toughest part is the crank bolt. I just got the knocking, thought it was some type of bearing. Bought kit from NAPA, kit did not include tensioner!!!! On order now. I am getting good at this. Other tough part is finding all of the plastic cover bolts. I have been able to remove the alternator belt by just removing the fan and cocking the belt pulley. I don't have to loosen the alternator. I would recommend setting the timing marks before you take the old belt off..... I think the tensioner should be replaced every second belt, I am changing the belts every 60k. :wink:

surferfletch
02-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I started thinking I was anal for doing mine at 60 then 140K. The consensus of this board seems to be that the belt will do 80K easily, and probably 100K. Sounds like you've found the shortcuts, redbug.

surferfletch
02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
The timing kit from Advance also doesn't include the tensioner. I ended up getting that from St. Charles.

Add your comment to this topic!