2000 Pontiac Grand Am Air Vents

wi_waabs
02-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this. I have purchased a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am 2 door coupe. It has the bubble like air vents. I would like to know how I can remove these vents myself? Does anyone know how? Im completely lost. My other car, the vents just popped right out.

silverado122775
02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Are you talking about the add-ons on top of the hood or the vents in the grill?

wi_waabs
02-14-2006, 03:19 PM
the vents on the inside of the car. The ones on the dash. There are four of them.

silverado122775
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Well I am not entirely sure.. I never tried to take out the ones in the Grandam I had. But I imagine you may have have to pull out the front dash assmebly that holds them in.. sure just be clipped on.. but I buy some more clipped in case they break.. and they are sure to do that.

Ridenour
02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty sure you will need to get into the dash to effectively remove them. They have several clips that go like ===|/ if that gives you any idea, so you would need to depress them toward the duct inside the dash, and then the whole unit should pop out.

xeroinfinity
02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
hey I might hav a pick of the vent parts, hold on.........

OK, got a couple that'll help
whole vent together,
whole vent (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/SeCond%20Hand/vent1.jpg)

This is the ring that holds everything on, three tabs(like Ridenour illistrated) they arent easy to remove with out damge, but you can reach into the vent and flip the tabs loose one at a time, while pulling on the entire piece to keep the tabs from locking back in... make since? these will help,
Main vent retainer (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/SeCond%20Hand/ventmainpiece.jpg)

xeroinfinity
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
um ya, good luck!

Hoags
02-15-2006, 06:39 AM
Is there a particular reason you want to remove them? If you are doing it to clean them I use Q-tips and some make-up brushes I picked up at Wal-Mart for like $6.00 for a set of 8 or more, they work great. Just My 2 Cents!

wi_waabs
02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Im removing them the replace them with yellow colored ones.

wi_waabs
02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
wow thank you very much for the advice. I will try and to this.

wi_waabs
02-15-2006, 08:41 AM
i guess i have one more question. how would one reach in there and release those tabs? im so new to this, sorry.

xeroinfinity
02-15-2006, 01:08 PM
you need something long enough to reach inside to the clips. the tool would need a hook on the end to pull the clip.
OR you can just punch one real hard, thats why mine was out. Done it the day my windsheild was broken :)

Also try turning the outer most part, or a really thin flat tool to reach around the outside of the main retainer ring that holds everyting in, and push the clips loose, Ya not much room anywhere to work on shit. Hope this helps!

wi_waabs
02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes it does and thank you I appreciate the help. I love this website. Im very glad i found it.

xeroinfinity
02-15-2006, 06:56 PM
tell Your friends~!

G6Performance
02-16-2006, 03:18 AM
I used a wire hanger and just bent the hook in to make it narrow enough to get inside and grab those little tabs. Unhook one, then pull lightly on the vent just enough so it doesn't clip back into place but not so hard you can't unhook the next tab. There are three tabs and you're done.

Gir-_-
02-16-2006, 02:05 PM
yeaaahh uh I just ripped mine out :D it was already broken when I bought the car.. seems like someone has kicked it and it shattered inside .. tried to fix with house hold glue... clamped it all down .. no fix lol stuck it back in and now everyone knows not to turn it or spin it w/e ... dont touch or its not going to move at all lol.. think the dealership carries these for a reasonable price? I have no problem of ripping the broken one out myself and just snapping the new one in :)

xeroinfinity
02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Gir, I used testors model cement, for of course plastic models, and it seemed to work. though one side of the vent doesnt hav fins.
I was going to kill the middle one too, to put in a oil pressure gauge or a trans temp gauge havnt decieded yet.

Gir-_-
02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
the setup is sorta like this

O Steeringwheel OOO Passenger Dash O

from left to right.. that first one keep that
2nd, that'd be a good change out.. that and the 3rd for gauges ... and a negative on the last 2

For me Id switch em out with trans temp & air/fuel ... only thing really important unless you have boost... but a pillar would go nice with that

Is the inside of those vents 2" ? almost perfect fit for a gauge?

Add your comment to this topic!