Page updated on 07-22-2018

89 PA, bad starter?

jweller
02-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Just borrowed this car from my grandparents. I think the starter might be bad but it's not like what I've seen other times. but first a little history of the car

My grandparents haven't driven it for at least 3 months, maybe more but probably hasn't sat 6 months. the battery was dead in it so my dad replaced it, he said it started after "some trouble". sounded like maybe it needed to get out and run. my wife drove it home - about an hour of highway driving and she told me that it stalled in drive at a stop and generally idles like poo.

car sits for a day and my wife goes to start it this morning for work. it doesn't start. I just put new spark plugs in it, but to no avail. car definately has fuel. I pulled one plug wire and Ive got spark. car cranks and cranks and every once and a while, sounds like it will fire but never does. occasionally it sound like the starter is just spinning. battery is at 12.5v.

Just want a second opinion on the starter before I go spend money on a new one. car is in my not even remotely flat driveway, so no hope of jacking it up where it is. Id rather not put it out in the street to work on it since there is a lot of snow on the ground. I can see the starter but can't quite see all of it. If anyone had a pic or a diagram of where all the mounting bolts are for it, that would be helpful too. then I could pull it and take it to autozone for testing

volkerc
02-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Just borrowed this car from my grandparents. I think the starter might be bad but it's not like what I've seen other times. but first a little history of the car

My grandparents haven't driven it for at least 3 months, maybe more but probably hasn't sat 6 months. the battery was dead in it so my dad replaced it, he said it started after "some trouble". sounded like maybe it needed to get out and run. my wife drove it home - about an hour of highway driving and she told me that it stalled in drive at a stop and generally idles like poo.

car sits for a day and my wife goes to start it this morning for work. it doesn't start. I just put new spark plugs in it, but to no avail. car definately has fuel. I pulled one plug wire and Ive got spark. car cranks and cranks and every once and a while, sounds like it will fire but never does. occasionally it sound like the starter is just spinning. battery is at 12.5v.

Just want a second opinion on the starter before I go spend money on a new one. car is in my not even remotely flat driveway, so no hope of jacking it up where it is. Id rather not put it out in the street to work on it since there is a lot of snow on the ground. I can see the starter but can't quite see all of it. If anyone had a pic or a diagram of where all the mounting bolts are for it, that would be helpful too. then I could pull it and take it to autozone for testing

if the car cranks, the engine turns over, than it is not your starter.

Alibi
02-15-2006, 11:55 PM
When was the last time it had fresh fuel or a new fuel filter? If it the car sat for 6 months or even a couple months with the same fuel than it is a good possibility that all the sediment and crap settled in the tank and when it was driven it got sucked up into the fuel filter and plugged it up.

jweller
02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
late update.....it runs:grinyes: :ylsuper:

wed night I pull off the coil pack and the ICM. coil pack reads crazy high resistance. thur morning I take it to autozone. guy there agrees with me, 2 primary and 2 secondary coils are fucked up. Asks me if the car is misfireing on cyls 1 and 4 and 2 and 5 and 3 and 6. :rolleyes: buy a new coil pack, install it, try and start the car.

no dice.

but....we have new behavior, and now, theres no question, the starter is definately fucked. end up pushing the car a bit to get it onto flat ground and into a parking spot. Im not sure, but after pushing this car, I think it might actually weigh 12bazillion pounds. no exageration. I'll have to check the door sticker

jack the car up, take out the starter. that was fun. I was considering leaving it on my sloped driveway, not jacking it up, and attempting to do the job blind, but I decided against it. In the end, moving it turns out to be the right choice. back to autozone for a new starter. install the new starter, and the car starts.

but it still runs like shit. i mean complete crap. worse, it stalls out as soon as you put it into drive. so while it "runs" in the strictest sense of the word, it's still not exactly usefull as a method of transportation. if you want a gasoline powered lawn ornament, then it's perfect, but for going from point A to point B, not so good.

it's missing like crazy. ok check the plug wires. turns out that not one, but 2 plug wires in the same cyl bank were completely shot. their resistance was infinity. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure thats not good. back to autozone for plug wires.

and now, $175 later, it purrs like a kitten. ok maybe not a kitten, but it runs pretty good now. I put about 150 miles on it friday and it runs strong. I'm not sure if the coil or the plug wires went bad first, but I'm sure that my grandfather killed the starter by cranking the daylights out of it.

what kind of highway milage is everyone getting from the 3800?

ilgoldstein
02-19-2006, 01:41 AM
The car has been sitting for six months and ran like cr_p? Hope you filled the tank with fresh gas and maybe put in some octane booster. What it needs more than anything is a good run. I'd make sure to check all the fluids -- rad, trans, oil and coolant, maybe change them all. I'm surprused the battery even works. One of the worst things to do to a car is to let is sit for months. I am not trying to run you down, I am as guilty of this as anyone, I've got a '64 Chevelle that has been sitting about 3 years, and expect to pay the price. Get her used to running again and expect more than normal gasket leaks. Things dry out.

Add your comment to this topic!