Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine takes almost 8 seconds of cranking beofre it turns over

sreilly77
02-13-2006, 07:10 PM
ok i just had my fuel pump replaced by my mechanic on my 95 town car (kind of hard to do it myself with a foot of snow on the ground haha). the only one was completely shot. here is what is confusing me. after starting the car and having it run for whatever length of time, i can shut it of and then start it right back up again without any problems. however, even if i just let the car sit for like two minutes, ill go back outside, turn the key, and the car will crank between 5 to 8 seconds before the engine finally turns over. im worried because if i let this go over a period of time, my starter will burn out. what is going on here?

sreilly77
02-13-2006, 07:43 PM
ok i just had my fuel pump replaced by my mechanic on my 95 town car (kind of hard to do it myself with a foot of snow on the ground haha). the only one was completely shot. here is what is confusing me. after starting the car and having it run for whatever length of time, i can shut it of and then start it right back up again without any problems. however, even if i just let the car sit for like two minutes, ill go back outside, turn the key, and the car will crank between 5 to 8 seconds before the engine finally turns over. im worried because if i let this go over a period of time, my starter will burn out. what is going on here?

sorry i definitely can't type, i meant to say the OLD fuel pump not ONLY fuel pump. but i should also mention that it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold. if you let it sit for even like a minute, it will take almost 10 seconds before the engine turns over.

master hec0
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
go back to the mechaic and tell him he screwed up and fix the pump properly

cobradude360
02-13-2006, 09:39 PM
have u checked fuel pressure because it shouldnt drain back into the tank i beleave theres a valve that shouldnt allow the fuel to drain back into the tank but im not sure does it start up first thing in the morning after sitting for the night?

sreilly77
02-14-2006, 06:43 PM
yea, it starts up fine in the morning, just its hard starting. i did take the car back to the mechanic and they put in a new fuel filter and fixed the fuel pressure issue. but it is still not right, so i am taking it back again tomorrow and they are going to put another pump in and they are going to fill the tank because i had to drain the tank under 1/4 twice now. so yeah this sucks.

Towncar
02-14-2006, 07:52 PM
General observation --

Following the line of thought were the pressure should'nt drain back to the tank, will it start right up if you first wait, Key On, for 10/15 seconds before cranking the starter?

This thought would assure the fuel pump pressurizes the rails before the starter cranks, thererfor proving/disproving the fuel is draining back to the tank.

sreilly77
02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
i did try that, just turning the key to the on position and giving the fuel pump time to pump up. the same symptoms still occur. i might add though, however, when i do get the car to run, and then shut it off and immediately turn it back on, the car will start right up. so the fuel is staying in the rails for a short time. i am wondering if the pressure is not where it is supposed to be probably because the new fuel pump is falty. i think the fuel pressure is around 15-20psi i'm not 100% sure. well i'm taking it back to the mechanic tomorrow. it will be fixed for free since this is the third time in the past 5 days that i had to bring this car back

one other thing i might add. i have noticed that since these problems have arose, every time i hit the gas pedal either at a light or a stop sign, i notice puffs of blue smoke coming out the back from both exhaust pipes. this happens when the car is idling for more than 30 second or so. and it doesn't matter whether the car is in park or drive. and the engine is hesitating slightly. does this have to do with the fuel pressure problems that i am having?

sreilly77
02-14-2006, 10:14 PM
i think the fuel pressure is around 15-20psi i'm not 100% sure.

when i say this, i mean it as that this is the normal fuel pressure for the car when the problems i am having are not present.

master hec0
02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
im just posting to say that somones listening and ur not ust wasting ur breath i have no bloody idea whats wrong im kinda new here

Towncar
02-14-2006, 11:36 PM
im just posting to say that somones listening and ur not ust wasting ur breath i have no bloody idea whats wrong im kinda new here

Funny you mention that :rofl:

sreilly77 likes to entertain himself with these blow-by-blow experiences :grinyes:

Actually, it's a pleasure getting all this on the boards for lurkers looking for a fix.

master hec0
02-14-2006, 11:40 PM
you know i have noting better to do i havent stopped refreshing this page since my last post its really sad

Towncar
02-15-2006, 12:16 AM
you know i have noting better to do i havent stopped refreshing this page since my last post its really sad

You're definately a sick man... :)

master hec0
02-15-2006, 10:05 AM
srry to who ever posted this thread its gotten kinda off topic lol

sreilly77
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
eh, doesnt matter if it gets off topic. i think it is just time for me to get a new car i mean my 95 has 200,000 miles on it i think i've pushed it far enough haha! its just the engine doesn't want to quit. that is actually the only thing workin well on the car. its everything else is going bad. all the little things. o well. i found this '03 Cartier town car real pretty with 37,000 miles. im going to try and pick that up.

master hec0
02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
so ur gonna scrap ur 95 tc? if you are ur only gonna get like 100$ for it

sreilly77
02-16-2006, 08:12 AM
so ur gonna scrap ur 95 tc? if you are ur only gonna get like 100$ for it

yeah i know it really sucks. well i did have the fuel pump problem fixed so the car is fine now and running strong and starting up with no problem. turns out after i told the mechanic i wanted a fuel pump from the dealer put in, they turned around and put in an aftermarket. so they refunded my money and i got yet another fuel pump at no charge :grinyes: i'm going to check into it today to make sure the pump was from the dealer. i mean with this car mainly little things have been going on it because the gentleman who had the car before me took care of the car to an extent (like oil changes, brakes, those types of things) but didn't realize that little things were going wrong because he drove around with the CEL on for two years. so i figured this would be a nice fixer upper for me. i only bought this car for $1000 and so far put about $1000 into it. i've had the car for almost three years now.

Add your comment to this topic!