Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I Need To Paint Again The Whole Car.can I???

pollapellos
02-13-2006, 05:12 PM
i recently buy my first model kit..a honda civic vti from hasegawa.i paint the whole body of the car with a brush,it doesn't look very nice.i want to paint it with a spray can i paint it again?i have to remove the paint?how can i?pleased help me i do not want to destroy the model! thanks.. from now on i read your advice from here in the forum! thanks a lot! ::)

willimo
02-13-2006, 05:53 PM
If you brush painted it, it will look bad even after you repaint it with a spray can. You need a sprayed on coat of paint on a smooth surface, you will have to remove the paint you put on already.

There are various ways to remove paint. There is a solvent called ELO (Easy Lift Off, not the band) that I've seen in some hobby shops, I guess it works pretty well. Most people here would use brake fluid that you can get at auto supply shops. Put it in a container, and drop the body into it, and let it sit for a day or two but not much longer. Then, with gloves (!!) take the body out and use an old toothbrush to get the stubborn bits off.

When you spray it, you'll get better results with hobby paints like Tamiya, or if you're careful, Testors and Testors Model Masters spray cans. Krylon and the like tend to be too thick and don't work well. Duplicolor auto paints also tend to work well. Whatever you use, use a suitable primer; the easiest way to make sure the primer is suitable is to just get primer made by the same company as the paint you intend to use.

Good luck!

freakray
02-13-2006, 06:15 PM
One of those topics amazingly already covered in the Car Modeling FAQ:

How do I strip paint off a plastic model? (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=579007#post579007)

Add your comment to this topic!