Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bodykits and road humps

Jaxal
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Hello

I am thinking of purchasing a body kit for my car. You can view it here:

http://www.potn.co.uk/popup_image.php/pID/2128669

For those of you who have a body kit on their car, i want to ask, do you ever scrape the side skirts on the road humps or other inclined roads? Like for example, turning into an inclined road and your front bumper scrapes. Has that ever happened to you ?

kicker1_solo
02-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Has that ever happened to you?
Of course it has.
Not all of this is from rock chips
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/kicker1_solo/cdb82ace.jpg
I've scraped it, cracked it, chipped it, you name it. Body kits were five years ago though....

cas4067
02-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Well you will scrape it a lot especially when you first get it. It's a different kind of driving with a kit on you have to be so careful at least in my area. I would persenally get a eurothane kit if you could find it, I got a fiber glass one and it sucks I have had it fixed 2ice already and it's cracked again. I am actually thinkig of going back to stock, Kind of sick of having to baby this car everywhere I go. oh by the way if you do get it I would racomand bigger rims, it will give you more clearence. Before I got my rims I couden't even pull up my driveway.

Jaxal
02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Damn :( That kinda sucks. I will be looking for a eurothane kit as well. What are the possible measuers i can take to avoid getting my kit scraped. Bigger rims is 1. What about raising the car a little bit? Will that look wierd or not?

kicker1_solo
02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
If you have a bodykit with a stock height car it looks gay.
If you have a bodykit with a stock height car and bigger rims it looks very gay.
If you have a bodykit with a bigger rims and your car is lifted it looks extremely gay.

The only way to make a bodykit look good is to lower your car, which obviously will cause more problems.

Just watch where and how you drive. There will be many many places you won't be able to go though.

V T E C H
02-15-2006, 03:16 AM
My car is just lowered and i scrap on EVERYTHING. Even when i am very careful i usually touch at least the exhaust on the ground. The worst is speed bumps where i go to school. Eats my car alive. So i would maybe just add a front lip or somthing. Plus integras already look pretty sweet as they come, but its your choice.

rushb18
02-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Buy a nice lip kit and call it a day...Not as aggressive i think and there much cleaner and you dont have to yank the whole bumper off if you crack it or whatever..

Thank You,
Ryan D. Ricer
De-Ricing Association of America/ LOL

Jaxal
02-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Hello :)

kicker1_solo do you have any pics of cars which are raised? I have been trying to google for it but nothing is comming up. I want to see exactly how 'gay' it looks looll

VTECH, i am also worried about the speed bumps. Especially here in London, the speed bumps are just stupid. Also the roads can be inclined so i am worried about that too. I just think its ridiculous that they have such nice body kits but we face so much problems if we put them on. You said you scrape it on everything. How bad are your front bumpers and your exhaust? Can you see the scratches on them? Can you put up some pictures?

rushb18
02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
well shit it looks bad enough riding stock height with big ass Wheels anyways anything over a 16" is just to big i think...

Just get a lip kit and set of springs, 16" rims and call it a day, be much cleaner and less of a hassel to keep up trust me..

TurboLaxx
02-16-2006, 08:22 PM
The material is called urethane...not eurothane. It's not as brittle as fiberglass so it wont chip or break as easy. That's why urethane body panels cost more than fiberglass.
I agree that a bodykit with stock height looks funny. I recommend lowering the car around 1.5". Whoever said that bigger rims give more clearance doesn't know what they are talking about. If you get bigger rims the sidewall height decreases (so that's why the really big rims have very skinny sidewalls). This is done so the circumfrence around the tire is the same....big or little rim. It keeps the speedometer accurate and it wont mess up the susspension characteristics. Basically you have the same clearance with any tire/wheel combo as long as the circumfrence is the same.
I have my car lowered about 2 inches and it only rubs if i hit a really tall speed bump or if i drive too fast over a dip. Basically if it rubs it was my fault. I dont have a body kit but they do lower the body lines at least an inch. You are gonna have to go really slow over and speedbump and maybe even weld grind plates under your car at points where it likes to scrape the most. It all depends on how you want your car to look. It's your car so make it look how you like it.

Jaxal
02-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Hello turboLaxx

Can you get some picture of the car where it scrapes? i want to see how it looks.

TurboLaxx
02-17-2006, 11:20 PM
the thing is my car was all scraped before i lowered my car. So i cant really tell what has happened before and after i lowered it. I'll try and get pictures up on sunday.

Add your comment to this topic!