Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What are the top few "gotchas" to look for in a 97 or 98 Mark VIII?

jazbo123
02-13-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm looking for a 97 or 98 Mark. What are some common Mark-VIII problems that I should look for before buying (specific to this car)?

Obvious things like accident damage or general mechanical problem not included.

Also, were HID headlamps standard on the LSCs for 97 or 98?

Thanks.

Crasen
02-13-2006, 10:49 PM
HID's were standard, make sure they work, not cheap to replace. Areas to pay attention to include; blend door motor, temperature control will get stuck on hot or cold. Trunk lid rear neon light, they tend to get moisture in them and fry a ballast, if the light does not work that is probably why. Air suspension, after awhile the airsprings will begin to leak. Clunk noise over bumps, caused by balljoints or sway bar end links. Rear shock upper mounts tend to go out causning a clunking noise from the rear when it goes over a bump. Keep an eye on the 1-2 and 2-3 transmission shifts, especially the 1-2 shift, on 97's they were prone to shift accumulator spring breaking, the transmissions were upgraded for the 98 model year. You also want to pay attention to steering wheel vibrations at around 55 MPH. I am sure I am missing something, the Mark VIII is a high maintenance car, I would not recommend one unless you plan on doing maintenence on it yourself, due to the fact the parts are not the cheapest in the world, unless however you have extra money laying around. if you want more info check out www.markviii.org you can probably find answers to any question you could ask there

Crasen
02-14-2006, 06:22 AM
There is one obvious one I forgot to mention, the cupholders tend to break. You can not order the cupholders separately, you have to order the whole console (if the dealer can get the color you need) for like $600+. You can change the cupholders out on a 97-98, you can find them on e bay sometimes, just have to be patient for your interior color.

jazbo123
02-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks, this is all good info. I have a good garage shop to do the work in so the labor won't be the problem as long as I can find the parts.

Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!