Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Worn timing gears/oil leak

chapman1
02-13-2006, 09:51 AM
My intake timing gears have a groove worn in them by the cam oil seal. Any idea how to get these gears for cheaper than 300.00 at nissan. Can the groove be filled with anything that would last?

Good info. Can you give me an idea as to where to find intake cam gears for my 93 zx? My have a groove worn in them which is letting oil leak from the cam seals. Any ideas. Is this also caused by excessive blowby?

Edit: edited due to two different threads started...

DeleriousZ
02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
aftermarket cam gears? i'm sure they're cheaper than what nissan wants for them anyway...

k3smostwanted
02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Good info. Can you give me an idea as to where to find intake cam gears for my 93 zx? My have a groove worn in them which is letting oil leak from the cam seals. Any ideas. Is this also caused by excessive blowby?

no, i remember another member having this problem and it seemed to be just normal wear.

unless you go with adjustable cam gears you are gonna be paying out the ass for OEM ones. so the dealership or contact http://www.conceptzperformance.com can get them for you but last time i checked the full set of 4 cam gears is gonna run you about $800.

some people go with aftermarket adjustable ones and they leave the cam gear cover off but these will need to be adjusted very often as in atleast once a week. i can see this getting ridiculously annoying...plus leaving the cam gear cover off, you risk the chance of a rock skipping up from the ground and tearing that timing belt in half.

Edit: edited because of 2 different threads started...

BTW: i dont know of any aftermarket cam gears that are not adjustable on the market yet but i may be wrong. i am pretty sure there are a few guys over on TT.net encouraging or working on a set to solve another problem when installed aftermarket cams.

Add your comment to this topic!