Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HHR driver's opinion

Old Lar
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
As one of the vehicles I'm looking at as a replacement, are there any current owners/drivers that have short term /long term experience with the HHR? The area of your likes and dislikes of this car and any issues that you have encountered..

cavy2fast4u
02-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I just bought one yesterday and I absolutely love it. It seems to get great gas mileage so far, plenty of room, and comfy.

Chameleon-kat
02-22-2006, 07:51 AM
I've had mine since the end of october, bout 6700 miles on it so far. Mine is 2lt with 2.4 and manual tranny. I like it just fine, pretty comfy, gas milage is good ( puter indicated milage,except for weekend trip into cold northern new england) has been averaging above the 30MPG estimate. Some things others have made note of are: window switchs are in center console (takes getting used to) cup holders are in center console area and are a little tight. sorta retro/chopped look means windows seem small (if your first in line at overhead traffic light, you may have to duck to see it) and rear seat headrests kinda block line of sight for rear window ( I removed them as I don't usually have passengers), and they also create issue (if in place) when flipping seats backs down (they hit front seats if not moved foward). Power seems quite adequate for what it is. One suggestion if you live where you have winter weather and sand treated roads (or maybe travel on dirt roads) is to make sure you get running boards or at least splash guards to prevent any debris being kicked into rear fenders.

Z71Hoe
02-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Ditto! Go for the 2LT as it has good options. I have the automatic and it's fine.

The running boards don't stop much....mud flaps are a good thing to put on.

I had a PT Cruiser before this....I like the HHR better.

Old Lar
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the input. Interesting note on rear seats in the down position. Periodicall I like to carry "stuff" in the back end. I had a Suzuki Sidekick four door years ago. That was a base model 5 speed. It was a highly reliable car, but underpowered and the space in the back was never quite big enough to carry anything of any size like chairs or even a bicycle.

Chevy_Man52
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
I really like the design and the reviews. Can anyone tell me if it is available in All Wheel Drive? That would be a selling point for me. We own the Chevy Equinox AWD and would like to replace my old 4WD Tracker soon and the HHR looks like a winner.

Z71Hoe
02-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Sorry, no all wheel drive. Front drive only for now.

Maybe in the future.

Chevy_Man52
02-27-2006, 07:31 PM
IMHO Chevy is losing a good opportunity. Ford even has AWD available in the 500s. GM calls the HHR a small SUV but doesn't offer AWD. That is a very large shortcoming.

cavy2fast4u
02-28-2006, 07:33 AM
I agree, I would have loved to get mine in AWD just for safety when rainingor anything like that. If GM does decide to make one I may trade my current one in on one as long as it doesnt affect the lowering capibilties. :D

Hollowcreek
03-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I just had an HHR on as a rental. It was well equipped and had about 2800 miles on it. I drove it for two days. Chrysler can rest assured that the PT Cruiser has absolutely nothing to fear from the HHR. But that still does not say much.

1. The ride was nice, drive was similar to a Cobalt or and Ion, the power was not bad.

2. The interior is aweful. Any car that has window controls on the console is a loser in my book. The heat and air controlls were clumsy as well. The doors look out of proportion to the car beacuse of the short windows. Interior light controls were not very easy to find in the dark. The seats while adequate, were not very comfortable.

3. Visibility is impaired due to the short windows, and the huge A pillars.

4. Rear seat legroom leaves much to be desired.

All in all I wouldn't buy one and judging from the number of HHR's that I have seen being used as rentals, the novelty seems to have worn off. At one time dealers could not keep them on the lot, now there is enough of a surplus to stock rental fleets. Looks like Chevy has a new Mailbu on its hands.

Like Lee I. always said "If you can find a better car, buy it". Well for less money if you want an econo wagon, I'd go with either the new Dodge Caliber or a Scion XB. Both have more room, better visibility and a better ride. If you want AWD, the Jeep version of the Caliber is due out soon.

Z71Hoe
03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, that's your opinion...I am a previous PT Cruiser owner and I put 62k on the car. The car fun but a gas hog (18-21mpg average). I had a thunk it from day one that they never found. The rear suspension linkage carpped out, the radiator heat sensor leaked and the chrome wheels were starting to break down (chrome peeling and actually rotting where the bolts are). I will never own a Chrysler product again after having that vehicle. Take a look at their resale value sometime. I paid $21k for the PT new and traded it in for $7.5k. The HHR cost me $19 and it has much better features. Plus I get (25-27mpg) average and that's with the 2.4L.

I just had an HHR on as a rental. It was well equipped and had about 2800 miles on it. I drove it for two days. Chrysler can rest assured that the PT Cruiser has absolutely nothing to fear from the HHR. But that still does not say much.

1. The ride was nice, drive was similar to a Cobalt or and Ion, the power was not bad.
You probably had the stock suspension. I recommed the sport suspension. It also probably had the 2.2L.

2. The interior is aweful. Any car that has window controls on the console is a loser in my book. The heat and air controlls were clumsy as well. The doors look out of proportion to the car beacuse of the short windows. Interior light controls were not very easy to find in the dark. The seats while adequate, were not very comfortable.
Hmmm...my PT controls were in the same place. You get used to it. Agreed, the seats are not as comfortable as the PT.

3. Visibility is impaired due to the short windows, and the huge A pillars.
That's the style! Duh!

4. Rear seat legroom leaves much to be desired.
Similar to the PT.

All in all I wouldn't buy one and judging from the number of HHR's that I have seen being used as rentals, the novelty seems to have worn off. At one time dealers could not keep them on the lot, now there is enough of a surplus to stock rental fleets. Looks like Chevy has a new Mailbu on its hands.
People are still having trouble getting them.

Like Lee I. always said "If you can find a better car, buy it". Well for less money if you want an econo wagon, I'd go with either the new Dodge Caliber or a Scion XB. Both have more room, better visibility and a better ride. If you want AWD, the Jeep version of the Caliber is due out soon.

I feel that I found a better car and I did buy it. :rofl:

mikiec
03-10-2006, 11:50 PM
I just purchased a new HHR 1LT. It is the first new vehicle I have had in 10 years. The other being a 96 Ranger PU.

If the HHR lasts as long as the Ranger I'll be happy.

I have found the HHR to be comfortable with adaquate power. This will be my go to work vehicle.

My only dislike at this time is the lack of width in the footbox. My knees are against the center console and door.

I do have one question... There is a small light in the front center of the head liner. I can not find any info on this light in the manual. Any body know what this is?

Mike

Old Lar
03-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I ended up getting an HHR yesterday. The dealer was doing everything to sell me the car. I wanted a base model with manual transmission, but all they had were automatics ($1000 option). Most of their cars were loaded ones, except for one. An auto with the 6 CD changer, 2.4L engine and the chrome package with roof rack. $19.3 list + taxes and fees. I traded in a 99 Buick with 102K miles on it and paid $14.3 for everything. I had all the internet information on prices and they suggested an initial price was $22.2. I almost walked out and said to just find me a base model.

I didn't even drive the Buick to the dealers.

I wanted a more basic daily driver that should be able to get decent gas milage. I also have that strange interior center roof light that is for ? I'm also trying to figure out the radio and how to set stations. It needs a little stiffer suspension and doesn't have the throw you into the seat under heavy acceleration like the old Buick.

Z71Hoe
03-13-2006, 06:14 AM
It's just a light to help you see in the dark. I wondered the same thing too.
If you are a short person, I suppose it could bother you.
Heck, this is just a little LED light, imagine what's it's like with these kids today and their black lights and rope lights in the interior.

mikiec
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes, I know it's a little LED light. But, my question still remains... What is it? There is no mention of this light in the manual, that I can find. I suspect it is for the On Star service.

Mike

Z71Hoe
03-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I repeat. Just a light for night time viewing. That's it.

Hollowcreek
03-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Z71, I did'nt say I liked the PT, I meant it had nothing to fear from the HHR in the way of competition. I would take the Caliber over both or the Scion for that matter.

Z71Hoe
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
OK, got it. I'll get off my soap box now. Sorry :dunno:

mikiec
03-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey Z,

If this light is for night viewing as you say, should I not be able to control the intensity? You can with the dash lights? The dome light can be turned on and off.

Not throwing daggers, just looking for info.

Mike

Z71Hoe
03-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Nope, no controls. If it bugs you, tape works good. :smooch:

mikiec
03-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking Bubble Gum.:grinyes: :grinyes:

Mike

mikiec
03-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey Z,

You are correct. I found out that it is called....

"console flood lamp"

On some HHR's it can be dimmed via the dash light dimmer switch.

Mike

cavy2fast4u
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Yep it is for veiwing window switchs etc.

wolfie4x
08-17-2006, 08:40 AM
I love my HHR and I think its nicer looking then the PT. It is my drive to work car and i travel 100 MIles round trip everyday whice 90% of it is highway miles. I get over 400 per tank of gas up to as much as 450. From what i have bee told was that that light is to light up the window swiches way down by the floor. That is my only complaint is the location of those window swiches.

RavageRitual
11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
They Call it a Courtesy Light (LED)

littlejim
04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I just purchased a new HHR 1LT. It is the first new vehicle I have had in 10 years. The other being a 96 Ranger PU.

If the HHR lasts as long as the Ranger I'll be happy.

I have found the HHR to be comfortable with adaquate power. This will be my go to work vehicle.

My only dislike at this time is the lack of width in the footbox. My knees are against the center console and door.

I do have one question... There is a small light in the front center of the head liner. I can not find any info on this light in the manual. Any body know what this is?

MikeThat little light in the center of the headliner, is the "Headlights on" indicator.
I have a 2007 2LT HHR with 3000 miles on it, and I can't get more than 21MPG on it, half city, half highway. I previously had 2 Chevy Ventures and had averages of 23 mpg on each one. This is my biggest gripe.
littlejim

Old Lar
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Since posting this question last year I did get an '06 HHR with the 2.4 engine and I'm averaging over 30 mpg. I'm a "light footed" driver around town and use cruise on the highway. I've been from Key West Florida to Freeport Maine and several places in between. I've had the car for 13+ months and have nearly 19K miles on it now. The gas milage has been one of the best aspects of the car. I wish the steering wheel has a telescope feature as well as the tilt and I wish the seat bottom was longer for my big butt. :grinno:

03cavPA
06-28-2008, 07:24 AM
It's kind of quiet in here. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just bought an '08 LS model with auto trans.

Likes: novelty looks, ride, convenience features, cargo room, ECONOMY, price. Momma really wanted one, so if she's happy, I'm happy, if ya know what I mean. :evillol:

Dislikes: those stupid window switches in the center console. What were they thinking? Electric assist steering feels too numb, but I can get used to it. Front brake pulsation with less than 750 miles on it. It was that way when I picked it up with 148 miles on it. Chevy gets to fix it next week.

Overall, it meets my expectations. The front brake issue is nothing new to me. I've had to deal with it with every vehicle with front discs I've ever owned. People need to understand how to properly torque the front wheels when they put them back on after servicing. No amount of bitching seems to wake them up, so I retorque them myself when I get home.

Impact wrenches and torque sticks FTL.

Old Lar
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I started this thread when I was initially looking at the HHR as a replacement. I did purchase a new one in '06, which now has 36K miles on the clock. I've read on other forums of the pulsation problems where some owners ended up having those rotors turned. As you have discovered correct torque is essential, which the service people don't appreciate the bolting on the wheels.

I have averaged over 30 mpg running 87 octane in my 2.4L auto, since new. It does great on the highways, for mileage and runs 25-26 mpg with around town only driving.

You are correct the steering is "strange", too much turning at slow speeds. This is the new way for power steering..electric steering.

wpbharry
09-02-2008, 06:12 AM
I sold Chevys in '07 and we had a few questions about the little LED. They are found on most luxury vehicles these days - GM first put one in the HHR and now other GM vehicles such as the new Malibu, Aura, Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, and upcoming Traverse have 2 instead of one.

The purpose is to illuminate the center stack at night - providing just a touch more illumination.

They're trendy....

Add your comment to this topic!