Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SL55 vs SL600

4DSC
02-11-2006, 08:30 PM
What are the main differences between the two, other then one has a SC and the other has TT? A friend of mine said the 55 is still more performance oriented even though the 600 has about the same performance #'s. Thanks.

4DSC
02-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Anybody? Wow, this forum is really dead. :disappoin

pimp349
02-20-2006, 09:29 PM
What are the main differences between the two, other then one has a SC and the other has TT? A friend of mine said the 55 is still more performance oriented even though the 600 has about the same performance #'s. Thanks.

You are correct, the SL55 has SC V8 and the SL600 has TT V12 and they both make same horsepower, approx. 493. But the SL600 is more than 200 pounds heavier, standard. Notice that all Mercedes-Benzs' 55's and 65's are tuned by AMG, and are therefore more performance oriented than luxury (as weird as that may sound, since they are still "Mercedes-Benzes" and are still luxury). They have stiffer suspension, louder exhaust and engine, performance wheels, body kits, etc...The SL600 "seems better" or has "more prestiege" since it has a v12, but in reality the SL55 will outperform it in any situation since its lighter and more "sporty."

This scenario should get interesting next year when MB releases the "S550" line. No one is sure where it will be positioned, obviously above the 500, but above or below the 55?

4DSC
02-28-2006, 11:53 PM
You are correct, the SL55 has SC V8 and the SL600 has TT V12 and they both make same horsepower, approx. 493. But the SL600 is more than 200 pounds heavier, standard. Notice that all Mercedes-Benzs' 55's and 65's are tuned by AMG, and are therefore more performance oriented than luxury (as weird as that may sound, since they are still "Mercedes-Benzes" and are still luxury). They have stiffer suspension, louder exhaust and engine, performance wheels, body kits, etc...The SL600 "seems better" or has "more prestiege" since it has a v12, but in reality the SL55 will outperform it in any situation since its lighter and more "sporty."

This scenario should get interesting next year when MB releases the "S550" line. No one is sure where it will be positioned, obviously above the 500, but above or below the 55?

Heh, thanks.. I was begining to think nobody was going to respond. Yeah, I figured the 55's had a bit more kick to them. I may give the top end to the 600 though.

Thats interesting about the S550.. I didn't even hear about that one. My take on it's position would be a non SC 55 made to replace the 500, or to be an option.. I doubt the 500 will be leaving anytime soon though ;)

J Rainey
05-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Two great cars. Last November I sold my SL600 and got the Caddie XLR. Loved the Benz, but enjoyed the Caddie more. I rexeived more compliments on the XLR in 2 weeks than I ever did with the Benz. If anyone's in the market for a roadster, I would check out the XLR. You will get more bang for the buck with the caddie. If anyone tries to downplay that GM can't make a good car, look at the later Benz history. Loved them both, but the Caddy is my fave

Add your comment to this topic!