Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

All-Wheel Drive Supra

PhFish
02-11-2006, 07:46 PM
ok i dont have the car yet but ive alrdy got the one 1 want picked out its just matter of gathering the funds but neways i was wondering if itd be possible to convert a '96 twin turbo supra to all wheel drive and if so how much would it cost

Thanks
PhFish:feedback:

TcmaBoy
02-11-2006, 10:20 PM
There is no room for a front dirve train.

Moppie
02-11-2006, 10:36 PM
There is no room for a front dirve train.

Actualy there is, but you would have to do something crafty like custom build a front diff into the sump, or drop an RB26 out of a Skyline GTR into it, and do one hell of a lot of custom front suspension work.

For a healthy 6 figure sum Im sure you could make something work.

TcmaBoy
02-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Actualy there is, but you would have to do something crafty like custom build a front diff into the sump, or drop an RB26 out of a Skyline GTR into it, and do one hell of a lot of custom front suspension work.

For a healthy 6 figure sum Im sure you could make something work.

I still don't think there is room. The oil pan area isn't that deep. You would have cross member problems, where would you run the drive shaft? Look at where the spindles sit relative to the engine. Your diff would have to be in the block right where the crank is. The CV's would interfere with the steering shaft, the turbos, the exaust manifold, the cross member, and the rails the cross member bolts to. It just doesn't work. There just isn't anywhere to put the parts involved, at least not if you want to keep the 2JZ. I supposed if you wated to run a transverse mounted 4 banger, maybe a V6 if you can squeeze it you could take power off the transaxle and send it to the back.

Yellow 13
02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
You could take a car thats already 4WD and then modify the frame/mounts/driveshaft and so on so that you could bolt a supra shell onto it. But you wont be able to make a 4WD supra on the standard frame.

flyinMKIV
02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
I got one for ya, Take that money you would spend for a crazy person to make it 4wd and go buy a skyline. Much cheaper and less headaches if ya ask me. just my thoughts.

InLiNe 6
03-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Thats gonna be complicated...but i think its possible..my friend made a rear wheel drive CRX before..it was pretty magical..=D

tubjub
04-17-2006, 09:06 AM
an awd supra IMO would be pointless because the car was never intended to be AWD. just take a look at a few of the baddest supras... like the titan supra (can't remember the website, just google it) or the WOTM supra that runs 8's and definately isint AWD. AWD gets you out of the hole but it doesn't get you down the track any better... but then again that's just my 2 cents

TcmaBoy
04-17-2006, 11:52 AM
an awd supra IMO would be pointless because the car was never intended to be AWD. just take a look at a few of the baddest supras... like the titan supra (can't remember the website, just google it) or the WOTM supra that runs 8's and definately isint AWD. AWD gets you out of the hole but it doesn't get you down the track any better... but then again that's just my 2 cents

You are only thinking in terms of drag racing. On a road course AWD has a major advangage. That is why AUDI's Quatro has been banned in most racing series. Personaly I think drag racing is a waste of a Supra. Any old hunk of metal can go in a straight line. Why not take it out on the road course and use it for what it was meant for?

tubjub
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
eh. good point. but the supra just would be the same if it was AWD. you do make sense about something being AWD maybe handling better... but with the wonders of suspension and tires... even a 800hp monster supra could be tamed for the road course. but if i was into that type of thing i think i'd be looking for another car...i think a late model supra tips the scales at around 3400~ roughly. that's pretty heavy for a car you want to throw into some turns, AWD or not i just don't think it'd be that great. but then again i could be completely wrong.

but for the amount of time, money and effort you would put into a supra to make it AWD you could damn near buy a skyline and there you'd have it.

maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm not. i'm just expressing my opinion

TcmaBoy
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
eh. if i was into that type of thing i think i'd be looking for another car...i think a late model supra tips the scales at around 3400~ roughly. that's pretty heavy for a car you want to throw into some turns, AWD or not i just don't think it'd be that great. but then again i could be completely wrong.

It is no heavier than a Vette or Viper. Then agian an I6 isn't exactly a TQ monster like a V8 or V10 is either. I have seen a few in GT competition. The generaly don't finish well. Just not enough grunt to get them moving coming out of the corners. It is a good example of the difference between an engine that produces TQ and one that produces hight HP numbers.

but for the amount of time, money and effort you would put into a supra to make it AWD you could damn near buy a skyline and there you'd have it.

You could buy and build the hell out of an R34 for the money. Then agian if money was the main issue you wouldn't buy a Supra to begin with. You would buy an old hulk of a Camaro or Mustang. You can put one into the 10s, probably even a bit faster, for the entry price of a MK IV Supra.

tubjub
04-17-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah you've got a point.

turboflatfour300
04-21-2006, 08:05 AM
definatly not worth the trouble. if youre looking for the off the line high rpm capable take offs like the evo or the STi then just buy sick tires and some suspension. itll definatly cost less than paying to get the 4wd put in.

et10sec
08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe completely off the wall, but Get a few Li-Ion batterys, and a couple electric motors at the front wheels, then ... you would have a totally different set of problems, but also you wouldn't have to worry about where to put the drive shaft

Add your comment to this topic!