Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Adding relays to headlights

pomes131
02-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I was reading an article about this and think it might be worthwhile for me. When I switch on my headlights I get a dimming on my dash, and the voltage drops a bit. I know its not a huge deal, but I'm under the impression that powering these with seperate relays would get rid of my problem. Is it as simple as using the stock hot wire to power up a bosch-style relay and powering the relay from the batt? The example I was reading about had seperate relays for low and high beam, but mine are the 9004's with high and low on the same bulb...so only one relay or?? By the way, I'm also going to be inspecting my grounds all over and upgrading them. Thanks

directory
02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
i'm not sure the dimming will go away. it's still pulling the same voltage from the battery. (correct me if wrong)

what kind of vehicle? it could be that it doesn't like these particuliar bulbs. did it do the same with other bulbs? do you have a large stereo? other electronics? old battery? dieing alternator?

there could be a lot of things contributing to this. it could be the sum of several or just one item only.

pomes131
02-13-2006, 11:44 PM
directory, thanks for helping out....I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to do(no new headlights!)..everything thats powered on when I turn the lights on at night, like the headlights,tail lights, dash lighting ect, is powered up through the original switch....I'm thinking if I can seperate the headlights(maybe taillights too) from the original factory wiring by installing relays in before the bulbs, maybe I'll be able to notice a difference....in theory it should work! Because while the charging system of the car will be sending roughly the same amount of current towards the lamps, it will be seperate of the factory switch which up until this time had to supply all of the current...instead of supplying 10 or 11 amps to my headlights it'll only need to use about .12 amps to trigger the relay into action!! So while my alternator is fine and my batt is fine, I'm victim to sub-par factory wiring and voltage drop throughout.....basically I want to remove the strain on my headlight switch....do you or anybody know anybody who has attempted this???

astroracer
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Here you go...
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WiringHeadlightRelays.htm

pomes131
02-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the bookmark astroracer....exactly the explanation I was looking for!!

Add your comment to this topic!