Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel line pressure question?

sirul
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, I had my fuel pump/filter replaced last month and since I got it back I have to give it a couple of seconds when I turn the key to run before I switch to crank.
If I try to switch the key all the way the first time, it won't start. It seems like the fuel line is empty when I try to start the truck, doesn't this line is pressurized all the time?
Your help would be really appreciated!!

wolfox
02-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Naughty, naughty - double posting! But here's a quick Q for you:

What brand fuel filter did you get installed? Only two I know of for certain *work*, especially for CPI fired engines - The OEM part from GM/AC-Delco, or a Bosch. Anything else is garbage, prone to failure, and usually sees you in the tank again in a few months or sending the truck in for repairs all over again.

sirul
02-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Naughty, naughty - double posting! But here's a quick Q for you:

What brand fuel filter did you get installed? Only two I know of for certain *work*, especially for CPI fired engines - The OEM part from GM/AC-Delco, or a Bosch. Anything else is garbage, prone to failure, and usually sees you in the tank again in a few months or sending the truck in for repairs all over again.

Sorry for the double posting :uhoh: .

I Used the OEM AC Delco. I biught it directly from the ACDelco parts. The pump is also OEM. I'm thinking in giving the mechanic that installed a call to find out if he is aware of the problem. Thanks for the reply.

muddog321
02-10-2006, 02:51 PM
On the fuel rail in the engine compartment there is pressure test port so check that out.

wolfox
02-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, get your hands on a pressure tester and take it at the schrader valve by the back of the engine block. If you have a CPI engine, it will not start with less than 60-62 PSI. The pressure should just snap straight up the moment you turn the key, so put the pressure gague in plain sight. When they key's returned to the off position, it should hold that pressure for a *long* time if everything is working correctly. If it bleeds down quickly, time to suspect a broken and leaking fuel injection system.

Add your comment to this topic!