Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service Body Systems light??? 99 Jimmy

Moser97
02-10-2006, 12:21 AM
When I push the "tow-haul" button I get a "Service Body Systems" light on the dash just left of the ABS light. The guy I bought it off of said it started doing that when they took a trailer hitch off. I intend to tow with this vehicle and will want to use the "tow-haul" feature. Does anyone know where this light comes from? How to get rid of it? The body shop Mgr. at my local Chevy dealer didn't know what it was, and said to stop in and ask the Service Mgr. I didn't have time to do that so I'll ask you guys. Thx, Larry

Moser97
02-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, the service writer with 13 years of experience at the dealer never heard of such a thing. The service body systems light is tied to door locks, lights, and in his words "tons of stuff". I didn't get a manual with this machine so I can't read up on the Tow/Haul button and any info about the light. I have a manual on the way, but right now I'm at a loss as to what to do (if anything) about this. Does this light leave codes? I put this up here because you guys seem to know these S-10's in and out. Don't let me down fellas.

OverBoardProject
02-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Have you put a new hitch back on yet?

Just a theory, but there might be a sensor wire in the back that's suposed to be hooked up to the hitch.
This would of course not be needed if you weren't in tow mode.

Or it might even be a safety feature to let you know that the trailer lights aren't plugged in.

Moser97
02-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, I've learned a couple of things. The car was originally sold in Canada. The manual shows an optional dash that is layed out like mine. The manual says the Canadian dash is similar to the optional one shown. The Tow/Haul indicator on the optional dash is in the same spot as the Service Body Systems light in mine. In other words if this was an American sold car with the optional dash the Tow/Haul button would light in the same spot that mine is lighting the Service Body Systems light. I am thinking that this was wired to do this from the factory. The guy I bought it from isn't really sure now, he never used the Tow/Haul feature. I'm gonna try to find a layout of that Canadian optional dash. Anyone know a surefire way to make the Service Body Systems light come on (besides pushing the Tow/Haul button)? Also what should I notice in the trans performance when I push the Tow/Haul button? I'll also see if I can learn a little more about GMC cars sold in Canada.

maxwedge
02-12-2006, 05:14 PM
You can tell if it is Canadian built by the vin, it starts with a 2.

Moser97
02-12-2006, 05:32 PM
I did a Carfax. Built in US, first sold in Quebec, in Oct. 98. Imported by NY dealer to US in Oct. 01, with 30000 miles. Bought in NY in 01/02 by my co-worker, same 30000 miles. VIN starts with 1.

OverBoardProject
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Try to e-mail me tomorrow, with your questions.
I'm just starting a job in a used car lot (In Canada) and might be able to get some info there. ALthough someone working in a dealership will probably have more info

Add your comment to this topic!