Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Throttle Body Size

C420sailor
02-09-2006, 09:22 PM
i'm mounting an M62 blower from a 92 Bonneville onto my motorcycle. yes, i know i'm insane. I'm setting up the FI and i need to know the throttle body intake diameter for the TB that comes on the supercharged 92-95 bonnevilles. also, is it TBI, or port injected?

thanks a ton.

-Ryan

randman1
02-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I have a TB in the basement originally from a 93 L27 (non-supercharged). It's the same TB as the one from the 93 supercharged engine. Let me know specifically what you want measured... inside bore diameter, etc. If I'm not mistaken, the TB has a larger bore in 94 & 95. This one is for sale by the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/randman1/Parts/DSC01972.jpg

The fuel injection system on these motors is a port injection. Some call it TPI others call it SFI. Never got a definate answer.

I gotta see this... can you post some pics???

C420sailor
02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
yes, i need the inside bore diameter. what's the difference between the supercharged and non-supercharged TB's?

i'm installing an Eaton M62 blower in a 1983 Honda V65 Magna, which is a 105rwhp(stock) DOHC 16-valve V4. back in the 80's, a company produced a kit that mounted a cheap blower on the bike with a carb. I custom designed a power take off unit, intake plenum, and associated parts to install this M62 in the Magna. I plan on using MegaSquirt EFI to provide fuel. Stock motor will run 4psi to be safe. Once I build a low compression motor, boost will increase to the neighborhood of 14psi. Death will follow hahaha.

randman1
02-11-2006, 03:09 PM
2.940 at diameter at the opening and 2.260 at the butterfly.

Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to use a turbo rather than a supercharger?

I don't know of any differences between the supercharged and NA TB's. There are the same to the best of my knowledge

C420sailor
02-11-2006, 04:54 PM
2.940 at diameter at the opening and 2.260 at the butterfly.

Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to use a turbo rather than a supercharger?

I don't know of any differences between the supercharged and NA TB's. There are the same to the best of my knowledge

A turbo is not the ideal setup for a V4 powered motorcycle. For an inline-4 it would work perfectly because it can be tucked right in front of the engine. This isn't the case with the V4. Rather than being neatly nestled in the vee, it'll have to sit on the side of the bike with the exhaust tubes running to it, as well as a monstrous boost pipe running to the intake plenum. it'll harm the balancing of the bike, detract from the looks of the bike, among other things. I'd have to heavily modify the oil pump to adequately feed the turbo without starving the cams or bottom end, and i want the boost to come on just off idle...not halfway through the midrange. that can create all sorts of problems when powering out of a corner.

and there's just something really cool about a belt-driven supercharger :-)

thanks for the specs!

-Ryan

randman1
02-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Now that was a great description. It sounds like you have thought this out quite well.

Good luck with the project and try to post some pics.

C420sailor
02-11-2006, 07:37 PM

The reason I knew all of this was because my initial plan WAS to install a turbo, but there were too many engineering obstacles, and I couldn't stand to cover my bike in plumbing.

I'll post pictures as the project progresses.

-Ryan

Add your comment to this topic!