Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

polish paint to remove decal marks?

p71 JD
02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey guys. I have a 97 cv. I have had it for a yr.The car is great and i spent like 2 grand on rims and a system. The thing i really hate is the old police car lettering thats very noticeable especially when the sun hits the paint. I used mineral spirits to remove all the glue from the lettering,but the old marks remain. My question is, if i buff the paint, will this even out the color and remove the old letteing shadows? My other option is to paint the whole car but they are asking about 2 grand and i think its not really worth it!:disappoin :nono:

master hec0
02-10-2006, 09:35 AM
u can probally go to maco and get one for 1 grand

p71 JD
02-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah man,i thought of macco but i heard they do some shitty work. The shop that wanted 2 grand is for a pearl white with some sparkle and alot of clear. I think i am just going to buff the hell of it and thats it. Its my work car anyways and i am planning on getting a newer car to hang out, probaly a caddy deville,the newer model..

richter111
05-23-2006, 08:54 PM
try using a good quality rubbing compound first. Then put a couple of coats of good quality wax. See if that hides it.

radioman2002
05-24-2006, 07:12 AM
You might first try brake fluid on the decal gum. I've seen this used many times at the Police garages as the cars are being readied for auction. One note though, make sure you clean up the fluid from the car's paint. Also probably what you are seeing is the fact that the paint faded everywhere except under the decals, I don't know of any fix except a fresh coat of paint. Try going to one of the Police garages and see if they can direct you to where they get their cars done. Near me, I go to a shop that specializes in repaints for taxi's. You can help the look by removing as much of the trim( inside and outside, pull the inside panels where they meet the door frames) on the car as possible, otherwise they just mask it off and you can get some lousy paint lines.

master hec0
05-24-2006, 09:15 AM
old post.....

Add your comment to this topic!