Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about Cobra Colour paints

klutz_100
02-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Are Cobra Colour's paints regular auto laquers bottled in small sizes or are they in any way specially re-formulated to make them more suitable for modelling use?

I ask purely as one of the millions of frustrated modellers outside of the US who can't get their hands on those finger lickin' good colours!! :) :banghead:

Will regular auto paint work through an airbrush? Or are the particles too big?

Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge/experience on this :bigthumb:

EDIT: Leon, don't be pissed I don't want any your secrets! You've just whetted my appetite so much :)

RallyRaider
02-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I was of the understanding they are formulated from mostly PPG products. So they are automotive paints but maybe with the odd tweak to make them more suitable for modeling use.

I'm sure Leon will drop by and give us the authoritive answer. :)

mikemechanic
02-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Klutz you can use automotive paints for modeling use with a good primer. I have used Cobra colors and several other automotive paints with success. Cobra colors are PPG automotive paints overreduced for the airbrush instead of an automotive spray gun.
E-mail Leon he will help you out with all your questions. He helped me out finding an alternative source here in Canada. Leon is one of the nicest guys you will talk to and loves to help out fellow modelers.

MPWR
02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Overreduced? Funny- I find them a bit too thick. I've been reducing them further- but wow do they go on smooth. I don't know if I'll ever get through a gallon of DTL-105, but I suspect I'm going to enjoy trying....

Hafta agree, Leon is very helpfull.

Cobra Colors
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I sure wish I could get my paint out to as well!

My finishes contain components sourced mostly from PPG and Glasurit; many of the Lamborghini colors are from the latter. Although 100% authentically matched, they are reformulated with automotive lacquer components. They aren't otherwise modified except for being pre-thinned for airbrush use.

There are some finishes that I haven't bottled due to the metallics in them being larger than usual. Not because they won't work with an airbrush, but rather because they look too sparkly or too much like a metalflake finish when viewed on a scale model. Two of those that come to mind are Nero Pegaso Metallic and Verde Hydra Metallic, both Murcielago colors.

Thanks for asking, and thanks everyone else for your kind remarks. :)

klutz_100
02-10-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks gents and special thanks to Leon :bigthumb:
Keep your eyes open for Klutz Kolors - coming soon to a monitor near you!! ;)

Add your comment to this topic!