Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My CEL light IS caused by a

Ramblin Fever
02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
failed O2 sensor; right side.

Both the Isuzu dealer and my Import Mechanic are getting the same code; which is funny because autozone said it was EGR insufficient flow related.

But, the 1st time I went to autozone the teenage kid said it was an O2 sensor to begin with, who knows :banghead:

Go figure.

Anyway, hopefully that along with new NGK spark plugs, new tranny filter & fluid, fuel filter will bring the gas mileage and power back up.

Transmission is not leaking, the residue I was seeing is from the back of the valve cover gasket. They've been very gently tightened up, as the leak, rather weeping actually isn't bad enough to warrant replacement yet.

Had the radiator flushed and all new hoses as well.

Hopefully she's good to go for a few years again. The power loss was getting to be pretty dramatic, couldn't maintain speed on the highway.

I'll let you know how it's running when I get it back, hopefully tonight.

directory
02-09-2006, 02:04 PM
i think with your vehicle..it's time to get a code reader. this way you can diagnose it yourself. this way you aren't relying on the autozone people for the reading. the walmart brands work fine--$50-$100 just choose one.

glad to see it isn't amajor issue your running into.

rodeo02
02-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Which one of the two on the right side/bank 1? Directory is right on. Get yourself a basic code reader. It WILL save you a bunch of hassle.

Joel

directory
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Which one of the two on the right side/bank 1? Directory is right on. Get yourself a basic code reader. It WILL save you a bunch of hassle.

Joel

and you won't have to drive all the way to autozone--in case the issue is internally related and could cause more damage.

Ramblin Fever
02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I thought that the code reader at Autozone was fairly accurate?? Is it not?

I've doubted it from the beginning however, because it kept saying that it was EGR related.

If Autozone's reader isn't fairly accurate then I think it's wrong to advise people to rely on it, or rather forget even going to Autozone.

Yes, after this I will get me a reader, I've never had a CEL issue before to warrant getting one. I'm just glad that it wasn't a code/problem that allowed any damage to be done.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Ramblin Fever
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes, bank 1 off the exhaust manifold

Canucklehead
02-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I thought that the code reader at Autozone was fairly accurate?? Is it not?An OBD2 reader should be reliable, the person reading it however...

I never listen to what the AutoZone guys say, I just let them plug in and read the code, then I write it down, go home and look it up.:2cents:

xtreme barton
02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=518731

check second post !!

highlandlake
02-10-2006, 07:09 AM

Joel

I fully agree. I bought a decent one from NAPA parts about two years ago. It has paid for itself many times over, especially from co-workers who buy me lunch or breakfast to read their codes. Neighbors borrow it, and it's basically indestructible in the right hands. The one I bought has the extra features such as run-time mode so you can read engine speed, engine temp and O2 sensor range data. I think it paid for itself the second or third time I used it, so everything after that is gravy.

Add your comment to this topic!