Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Bonneville SSE

bluskydiamond
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
I love this car, i've had it for just about a year. There are a couple things that I'd like don to get it back in shape. One the rear bladders for the air ride leak, and I would like to know if anyone think I should replace them or just install regular struts in their place ( I currently have the compressor unpluged), also the DIC panel has never lit up and none of the fuses are shot (not very important to me, but I wouldn't mind getting everything running), the tranny slips a little when (probably normal for a car with 245000+ miles on it), I recently fixed the rear door locks thank to this forum, and want to thank all of you out here for you input, you've already saved me tons of $$ by pointing me in the right direction. Any input would be great. I did try searching for the air ride on here but didn't find any previous posts. Thanks again.

randman1
02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I believe Monroe Sensatrac and Reflex (if you can still find them) are your only choices for a Bonneville application with ELC. I'll guess that have your compressor disconnected because it seemed to always be running all the time. This is usually caused by leaking struts. If Koni has an application for the H body it would be great. No ELC but adjustable nonetheless.

You could replace the rear struts with "normal" ones if you wanted to without causing any problems. I suppose it's just personal preference.

How 'bout some pics of that ride of yours??

bluskydiamond
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I'll post some pics tomorrow if the weather is warm enough to wash it first. Maine winters are hell on white cars. Although I thought I had the rear locking door issue fixed it appears that one still wants to give me trouble. I'm coming from an 80's and 90's Jeep Cherokee owner background so messing with my rides seems to be habit forming (and a necessity). This Bonnies body is just about mint but there are a few things that don't work right...the drivers mirror moves away but wont return, the DIC has never lit up(although the compass works which I understand is often related to the DIC), the trunk right now is stuck but will probably open tomorrow when the temp gets above freezing, the 'cup holder' is missing from the front console which has caused me many spills and a couple near accidents, the cruise control doesn't work (not a feature I care about too much), but the CD player and all the speakers still sound fantastic, the leather seats are a little cracked in places, and the drivers side neck rest tilts off at a wierd angle, windows are a little slow but I've read that a little grease helps these out, today I noticed a gas leak in front of the tank, but it was too cold to crawl around too much, but because of its location i think maybe its just one of the lines might not be secure (as it only leaks when its running and i think this might also be part of the hard starting---first turn never, second turn always), but the motor is still strong even with 245000+ on it, and the tranny only slips when its cold out (i think), oh yeah and the fog lights don't work and I've been too lazy to tell if its just bulbs (with all the other quirks taking a higher priority). As you can tell I already love this car and all its quirks. Thanks for the rear strut info, and yeah the bladders are gone the compressor runs constantly when its plugged in. Thats all for now, but thanks for having a place where quirky people love their quirky cars.

randman1
02-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Woah... that's quite a list. How's the rust under the car? Brake & fuel lines, fuel filler tube, etc? It's common for us in the snow belt to have heavy corrosion under there. Similar to the rear door latches.

Despite made several attempts, I still can't get my compass or DIC to display. It works as I can hear beeps when the doors open but no display.

Maybe we can work out a deal for the parts you need. I have an 89 parts car and would just loooooooove to have a factory CD player that works with the steering controls. :evillol:

In April, we're having another Bonnefest in CT. Maybe you can make it.

bluskydiamond
02-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Woah... that's quite a list. How's the rust under the car? Brake & fuel lines, fuel filler tube, etc? It's common for us in the snow belt to have heavy corrosion under there. Similar to the rear door latches.

Hmmm under the car eh? Well I tell you tomorrow when i'm poking around for that nasty little gas leak.

Maybe we can work out a deal for the parts you need. I have an 89 parts car and would just loooooooove to have a factory CD player that works with the steering controls. :evillol:

i don't know how people can drive this car without some kind of steering wheel control or remote or something. When I'm sitting back cruising with the roof open in the summer there's now way I can reach the radio. (So...Um, yeah not likely:screwy:) (although i might deal in cash:smokin: )

In April, we're having another Bonnefest in CT. Maybe you can make it.

Let me know, hopefully by then I'll have it running sharp.

Add your comment to this topic!