Turbo Kits Vs. Custom turbos

PaulCivicSi00
02-08-2006, 11:47 PM
I have been looking into all kinds of turbo kits for my 2000 civic si. What i have found to be my best deal is a Greddy boost package kit with their turbo kit and their intercooler. Sportcompactonly.com has it for $3,000. Comes with injectors, turbo timer, and boost gauge too. I was wondering what people think of this and asking for suggestions of other good deals or reccomendations. I wanna run stock internals at 7psi. What about piecing together one? What is the difference between e-manage and fmu's?

Thank you guys

Schister66
02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
You can make up to 300whp on a stock B16, but i wouldn't run that much daily. I think you have a lot to learn before you boost a car. You would save a lot of money if you build it yourself rather than buying something. I'm spending a little less than $2500 for a complete build w/ a clutch, Crome tuning, and gauges...i'm keeping AC and PS, and using mostly new parts!

longlivetheZ
02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
As far as "kit vs custom" goes, it all depends on your budget and your personal goals, man. What do you want to accomplish? How much do you have to spend? You get more flexability and personalization with a do-it-yourself job but it will probably cost you more than a kit.

PaulCivicSi00
02-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Basically im looking to make my car as fast as i can for $3,000 or less. I just want the best bang for my buck. I wanna save money but not compromise qualitity at the same time.

superbluecivicsi
02-09-2006, 01:36 AM
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

longlivetheZ
02-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm not familiar with the particular car you're using, so I honestly can't give you any specifics, man. If I were you, I'd look into a custom job and go from there if you can't afford it.

Sorry, man.

exman98
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
you can go custom but there is a lot to learn.(trust me i have been researching for a year and a half)
x amount boost does not equal x amount of HP. it is not an algebre equation.
there a a few good sites deticated to handas and turbos

longlivetheZ
02-10-2006, 06:10 PM
you can go custom but there is a lot to learn.(trust me i have been researching for a year and a half)
x amount boost does not equal x amount of HP. it is not an algebre equation.
there a a few good sites deticated to handas and turbos

True. Some people like to think "hey...I'll slap the biggest turbo I can get onto my engine and then my car will rule all" and this is simply not the case. People wonder why they have shitty boost response or why their tires ignite as soon as boost comes on...they didn't design their setup right. Dude I went to highschool had a turbo'd civic and (from what I hear) the car would just nuke the tires as soon as the boost comes on no matter what. He was just running the wrong turbo and too crappy of tires.

I highly recommend "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell if you decide to go this route. It will teach you just about anything and/or everything about turbos that you could ever want to know.

iVteC_PoWeR
02-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree boost is not for a newb...and custom turbo can be a lot cheaper or a lot more expensive than a whole kit depending on the setup

longlivetheZ
02-10-2006, 11:36 PM
That's one of the great things about turbos when compared to superchargers. You get UNBELIEVABLE flexability and customization options. You can plan for ANYTHING you want to, you can spend ANY amount of money you want, etc. I suggest exploring this option, but please do NOT do anything without learning about it and doing research first. If you know what you're doing, turbos are the ultimate power adders. Period. Plain and simple. If you DON'T know what you're doing, the results can be disasterous [sp.]...

Add your comment to this topic!