Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

mufflers

marcre
02-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Some may remember my thread about my catalytic converter needing to be replaced. Well, I went to a muffler shop asking if they would put it on if I brought one in and they would. So that is cool. Anyway, upon inspecting my exhaust system I noticed the whole thing is on its way out. I want to put a flowmaster, but they said it probably couldn't be done. I am sure it can and after they see my truck, I'm sure they will agree.

Can the flowmaster be put on? Also, in reality, will it increase gas mileage or HP?

directory
02-07-2006, 06:28 PM
it can be put on, no problem.

an increase in gas mileage...not really. HP...maybe a slight increase as it frees up the exhuast gases allowing the engine to expell better

rodeo02
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
You'll probably notice a change in sound, that's about it. Not positive on the 1999, but the muffler on my 2002 is HUGE. There is no way that thing is restrictive. The 3.2's sound like a mad sworm of bees (w/ out any more power) if you get too carried away with the exhaust. Marc, hopefully you can get away with replacing as little as possible, but a cat-back is probably a good idea.

Joel

marcre
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
You'll probably notice a change in sound, that's about it. Not positive on the 1999, but the muffler on my 2002 is HUGE. There is no way that thing is restrictive. The 3.2's sound like a mad sworm of bees (w/ out any more power) if you get too carried away with the exhaust. Marc, hopefully you can get away with replacing as little as possible, but a cat-back is probably a good idea.

Joel

yea, I may replace both cats. the other one looks worse than the one that's not working. The "Y" pipe was woked on last year. I should have just replaced it. My muffler is equally as bad. My muffler is pretty large as well. I may attemp to do this myself. Hopefully there is enough room under there to get to it all. Some of the nuts are rusted pretty bad, but if I do the whole thing, I can cut it all if need be. I saw on ebay, there was a sighjt selling muffler, "Y" pipe, and tail pipe for under $300. That is a nice deal, very nice.

marc

amigo-2k
02-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I would search a bit or ask the quesiton at the 4x4wire.

I know there a few +98 guys there with upgraded mufflers.

I would also suggest cracking open the yellow pages and make some calls to, to shops that do exhaust work.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=807046&Forum=f68&Words=muffler&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=806398&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=52&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post807046

lifelongslacker
02-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Not sure about the 98+ but to get dual exahust on my 97, I had to put a dual inlet/outlet 50 series on the drivers side of the driveshaft.
This is due to the way the crossbeam was setup in this model. You couldnt fit a second muffler on the passenger side.
Also, the 50 series on the V6 has this awesome deep, rich sound. That dosn't come across as overpowering as the 40 series on the interior of the truck.

amigo-2k
02-08-2006, 07:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Honda-Passport-Isuzu-Rodeo-Exhaust-System-10K-mile_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ803702 2926QQrdZ1

This might be the ticket!

marcre
02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh man, it's back up there. It's almost like it's a sign. It looks correct I think. I am pretty sure there are two different systems out there for 98+ Rodeos/Amigos. There's the California emissions and the non California. I have California emissions.

I may have to bid.

Marc

amigo-2k
02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
There has to be a ton of parts you can use on it.

02 sensors, cats and so on.

marcre
02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
There has to be a ton of parts you can use on it.

02 sensors, cats and so on.

If it is the correct system. Are o2 sensors the same for 99 and 2001?

amigo-2k
02-08-2006, 09:27 PM
probably worth a call to St. Charles to find out for sure.

marcre
02-13-2006, 09:21 PM
I just got that ebay auction. Hopefully everything fits.

marcre
02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Alright, I am waiting for the cats and "Y" pipe to get to me. I'm going to replace it all. I am also going to try and do it myself. I must succede.

Here's my questions:

I'm going to need new hardware (screws/bolts) and also gaskets. Where do I get this stuff? Would they have it at an auto parts store or is it dealer only?

Thanks,

marc

rodeo02
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Marc, that was a SWEET deal on that. That's ~$200 in O2 sensors alone. Might as well wait a few months until the salt & grime is gone and the weather is warm before you cawl under. It was torture just doing an oil change recently, and that was in my garage!

Joel

marcre
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Marc, that was a SWEET deal on that. That's ~$200 in O2 sensors alone. Might as well wait a few months until the salt & grime is gone and the weather is warm before you cawl under. It was torture just doing an oil change recently, and that was in my garage!

Joel

Yea, I am going to wait for some warm weather, but the only problem is I need an inspection before the end of March. Hopefully I can do this. I looks like it will take some muscle.

I will see what shape it all is in when it gets here. From the pictures, it looks pretty good. The o2's made it a sweet deal. The best price I found online for a cat was ~$275. So yea, I am happy. I needed a "Y" as well.

Marc

Gizmo42
02-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I dont know what all sizes of hardware you will need but will suggest using stainless steel bolts and nuts, will help keep them from rusting and being a pain to take apart again later if you need to *cough*starter*cough*. Also use anti seize on them.

marcre
02-21-2006, 05:53 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question, so I will just add this to one of my old threads.

Anybody know what size the fill plug is for the transfer case? I need to go out and buy a socket and I need to know what size.

Thanks,
marc

Add your comment to this topic!