Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 Bonneville SSE Problem

Spartan312
02-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, here's the deal:
I bought this car about a month ago, and it ran just fine until I went to work one early morning. The gages and lights on the instrument panel all turned on and reset themselves, like they do when one starts the car. After that, the engine died, and I coasted to the side of the road. After waiting about 30 secs, I started it up again and it ran just fine. However, the same thing happened driving home, and then several days later, it just died completely as I was driving. That time, there was no "warning". Everything just clicked off and I was coasting again. No lights, no radio, no blinkers, nothing worked. I waited again and started it, but got no more than 300 yds down the road before it died AGAIN and this time stayed dead. I managed to get it into a parking lot near my house, and assumed it was a battery problem. My roommate and I tried jumping it, to no avail. I've had several people say it's an alternator problem, but since I know absolutely nothing about cars, I thought I would check where someone might know the answer. I pored over the service manuals as well, and could find nothing to help me. Does anyone know what's wrong with my car? :banghead:

maxwedge
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
First charge and test the battery, second check, clean and tighten the battery cables and grounds, actually do this first.

Add your comment to this topic!