Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

o2 sensors

radioman2002
02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
As I have posted before, I am in the middle of changing out a 1999 engine/trans with a 96 drive train. I have found some subtle differences in the years. First the wiring harness for the transmission is different, meaning not a plug and play. Also there is apparently some difference between the O2 sensors of a 96 and 99. Anyone know what it is? I broke the upper sensor on the 99 and have quite a few 96 ones, but the plugs are different. Can I just rewire the harness or will it drive the computer crazy?

radioman2002
02-16-2006, 02:28 PM
bump

ModMech
02-16-2006, 07:08 PM
I believe the sensors are functionall the same, but yes the harness connectors are different. I believe that you can just re-clock the pins.

The transmission is the same sort of affair, except that I *believe* that the connector below the Master Cylinder is the same both years, so if you use the '96 harness, you should be fine. The alternative is to reclock the harness at the trans, and this is the BEST method. There are NO internal electrical differences, so the '96 trans will work just fine with the '99 PCM and harness (except for the pin-out differences at the trans).

See www.p71interceptor.com for specifics.

radioman2002
02-18-2006, 09:28 AM
The harness connectors under the master cylinder are different. The 96 are square the 99 are round and obviously different colors. I was thinking of just removing the transmission switch from the 99 and transfering it to the 99. As far as the O2 snsors after some reasearch I believe you are right, same type different plug. Now I have to look for my pin extraction tool.

Add your comment to this topic!