Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing belt/distributor

maccj2001
02-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi
I'd appreciate if anyone can just confirm this for me. I have a 95 Camry. While driving the timing belt broke - I had it towed to the nearest repair shop -one I was unfamiliar with.
They replaced the belt for $330 - which I thought was reasonable. However, the car would still not start. After hours of looking, he thought a valve was bent - I told him it was a non-interference engine, so it couldn't be. He said he would work on it and let me know.
After working on it, he called and said the distributor was the problem and needed to be replaced - estimate $600.
Does this sound reasonable???

Thanks

Mike Gerber
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I think that $600 is a reasonable price for a brand new Toyota distributor. That said, what exactly is wrong with the distributor. Many times it's just the coil that goes and that could be replaced with an aftermarket coil for around $75 plus labor. Also, there are rebuilt distributors out there for considerably less than $600. Make a few calls to other shops in the area and ask for the cost (part and labor) to replace the distributor on your car with a rebuilt one. If you don't know where to call, call a Pep Boys in your area for a price quote. Then go back to this shop and ask them what they would charge for installing a rebuilt distributor, rather than a new one.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!