Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diagnostic test?

tg1hq
02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
OK, what's the difference between the diagnostic test that a mechanic would perform on my vehicle, and what I can do with a paperclip inserted into the little box under my dash that blinks out code numbers??? (Other than the $60, a mechanic is going to charge me.)
Is the mechanic's test more specific? more accurate?

97cavalier
02-07-2006, 05:54 PM
i hear that the parer clip thing is not accurate, and the computer thing that the guy plugs in you car, tell codes right away. I think auto zone has a scaner that does it on pre 96 cars.

LowETz
02-07-2006, 05:55 PM
If you have the codes and can accurately interpert them.... you're golden.

On the other hand, he'll be using a Tech I or a Tech II(depending on whether you're OBD1 or OBD2), which will actually let him see where the problem is originating from. Sometimes a thrown code is identified as such, but is not the actual cause/problem but a reaction to the problem.... if that makes any sense.

Sometimes $60.00 is worth the headache of trouble shooting several different cause/effects w/in the OS(pcm).

What's the problem?

altonjh
02-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Is the diagnostic test done at a dealership any more extensive than using a scanner or reader at home? And, what is the difference between a scanner and a reader? I just bought an AutoXray EZRead 2000. Anyone else here have one and what do you think of it?

Thanks,
Alton

blindeyed
02-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Since when does it cost $60 to have someone run your computer for codes? Advance Discount Auto Parts has always done that for free. Autozone probably does it too, but I never go there. But why did you pay around $200 (if it's new that is) for a code reader anyway? Just seems like a waste of money unless you're training to become a mechanic.

And the differences between a scanner and a reader, are just that. One scans the computer for timing issues, air/fuel ratio, etc. It's used to fix problems within the computer. Like say you are running a little lean because you just did a cam swap. Well, a scanner lets you go in and adjust the fuel so that your engine will be getting the right amount of fuel required to run properly. As for a reader.. it does just that.. it reads codes that the computer throws out. Just a basic way to diagnose small problems, like say your o2 sensor is bad.

Here's an example of OBDII scanner:
http://www.whitetigerimports.com/products.asp?product_id=4609714283

And here's one of a OBDII code reader:
http://www.autobarn.net/canobd23110.html

97cavalier
02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
do they make scanners for 92's?

blindeyed
02-07-2006, 10:38 PM
This link should help you out with that
http://www.aldlcable.com/

tg1hq
02-08-2006, 08:38 AM
The last time I went to AutoZone,they said they can't read the codes on such an old car (89). Maybe, I'll try Advanced Auto Parts or the Pep Boys.
My Formula is driving bad after an accident. Thought it was the MAF or exhaust problem, but I replaced those things already. I was thinking it's an ECM problem now.

blindeyed
02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
The last time I went to AutoZone,they said they can't read the codes on such an old car (89). Maybe, I'll try Advanced Auto Parts or the Pep Boys.

Yeah, they said the same thing to me. I told them I had OBD1, and the guy immediately said they couldn't run it for codes. So I then informed him that I had OBD1 with an OBD2 connector. He still insisted that he couldn't run it for codes.. I had to practically beg the guy to come out to my car and see for himself that he is able to run it for codes. He felt pretty stupid afterwards. This might not be the issue in your case, but it just reminded me of what happened to me. I guess I see why you spent the extra money to buy the code reader. Since there pretty much are no shops that can run your codes for you, then it's actually a pretty good thing to have around.

altonjh
02-08-2006, 09:25 PM
I really hate to ask people to do something free for me. Even though I buy plenty of parts from them. Just the way I am. And, the closest parts stores are about 20 miles each way. Some cars or trucks just won't make it that far if they are really sick. And, I have 4 trucks of my own to maintain. So, I figured a reader should make my work a little easier.

Thanks,
Alton

LowETz
02-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah AutoZone will scan the code for free on OBD2 pcms, but I thought he was refferring to a dealership..... they use a Tech1/Tech2 and this not only scans the code but allows him to look at other variables/paremeters in a effort to diagnose the problem over just scanning. Like I was saying, a thrown code for POxxx could be a result of another issue indirectly related to the POxxx.

Also, a cheap hand held scanner (ACTRON etc.) will not show hard codes, only soft codes which is where the Tech 2 is the ticket.

May can buddy up to a service manger at your local dealership and Tech 2 it for free.... been there done that :grinyes:

badbird8988
02-09-2006, 08:41 AM
if your going to buy a scanner i wouldn't go for anything specific like the tech II unless you only plan on owning gm's... if that's not your plan buy the snap on scanner... but the tech two is far more better if all you want is gm's... the paperclip thing is horrible unless you want me to post the code list tomorrow for you...

tg1hq
02-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I called AutoZone and Advance and they wouldn't go back to 1989. I might try to swing by a GM dealership and try to get a free reading. Also, a GM specific scanner would not be a bad investment in my family. I have a Malibu, my Uncle's all Cadillac and Monte Carlo, and my Dad's got a Silverado! Plus there are those future GM's I'm planning to buy.

badbird8988
02-10-2006, 09:13 AM
yeah i'm not sure of the price on them but you would want to get a TECH II... i'm in an automotive high school right now and lemme tell you those things are amazing at what they can do... they will tell you anything and everything... cylinder misfire counts... you can turn things on manually through the scanner... they're just really cool to use but hard to get used too...

tg1hq
02-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm an automotive novice, so is it going to be too complicated for me?

maxwedge
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Yes, plus the scanner is 3500 new!

badbird8988
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
no it shouldn't be too hard... it comes with a cd and i'm only 18 i picked it up in a few minutes and then i just go around messing with things and learning how to do new things they are about 3-4 thousand dollars but after you mess around with it and look at the instructional cd it's pretty easy just have fun with it because they're actually really neat to use...
nick

tg1hq
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I am so pissed! I bought the Actron GM code scanner at Advance for $26, and all it is the damn paperclip trick with a plastic housing around it! What a rip off. I am returning this POS tomorrow! :banghead:
I guess I'm going to have to spend some real money for a scanner I can use with my laptop. Damn, I was looking for a cheap fix. :frown:

tg1hq
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Can someone tell me the difference beween Tech I and Tech II? Can I get these at Auto Zone or something, or Jeg's?

Add your comment to this topic!