Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rookie seeks advice on buying a countach

Donluigi
06-22-2002, 02:13 AM
I am contemplating on buying a countach, since it has been the car of my dreams for a long time and one should live his dreams. Being familiar with older cars (RR, Bentley, Porsche), but not with italian sports-cars, I do have some concerns on reliability and cost.
Of course I know, that owning a lambo is not cheap, I don`t mind spending, but I don`t want a constant source of trouble.

Now please tell me:

- which model/year is the one to buy?
- how high are the avg. annual cost for maintenance/care?
- are these cars in any way reliable or is it "italian craftmanship"?
- what are the typical weaknesses/which questions to ask the seller?

Also I`m interested in owners`opinions on the car, good as well as bad.

Many questions, I know. Maybe they sound naive, but who else can I ask, if not the EXPERTS?

All the best,

Tobias Ueberschaer

Donluigi
06-25-2002, 01:00 AM
Thank you for your reply. The car I have in mind is an `88 QV, which is currently posted on "www.autosalon-singen.de", it has 8.000 km, is blue (the only turn-off) and has white interior.

I also believe that prices have dropped drastically - it has never been that cheap to enter the club of super-car drivers. But the thing that scares me most is the "italian craftmanship".

You really think that 5.000 $ will be enough? I calculated with at least 3 times more?

Oh well, maybe I should get a 996 Turbo instead... But I don`t think so.

Again, thanks a lot!!

Tobias

lambocars
06-25-2002, 02:44 AM
Hello,

I've just red the posts here with great interest, and I think I can add some usefull information to this thread.

As for going for a low mileage car, this might be a good idea, but don't go for a 'garage queen', a car that hasn't been driven regularly will have several little items to be replaced before you can put it back on the road, all rubbers and wiring should be checked, since it hasn't been driven a lot, most rubber will probably not be able to sustain pressure anymore and some lines may actually give way after a few miles, I've seen a black Countach burn to the ground because of this, especially have a knowledgeable guy take a look at the car before you drive it !

Naturally a high mileage car could have been abused, it's always about finding a compromise between these two, a car that has been cared for and driven regularly will surely give you lots of pleasure afterwards, without giant bills for repairs or stuff like that.

If you're thinking about the Tahiti blue Countach with the side streaks, Arabian bumpers and the white leather interior, do go to the dealer and take a VERY close look at the car, from what I've heard it looks great on the photo's but in real life ... and it has been for sale for a long time now.

Kind regards

Donluigi
06-26-2002, 09:43 AM
Quite a few replies so far - and all of them useful and interesting. This forum is by far the best on the subject compared to the others I`ve visited. Thank you all very much!!

Personally, I`d like to keep the car for longer, since I`ve made good experiences with a car that you just KNOW. And if the prices keep dropping like the last few years - who knows?

My main concern right now - what if I get a car like that and it keeps failing and failing - and costing? For just about the same price you can find a 2000 Aston Martin with 12 Cylinders - another personal favourite, especially since it has nothing in common anymore with the usual "british craftmanship". I`ve had some Rolls Royce and Jaguar and know my share, thank you very much!

Probably, it`s just like marriage. You`ll never know until 20 years are over...

For next week, I made an appointment for a test-drive. I`m looking VERY forward to that!!

All the best,

Tobias

Donluigi
07-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Hi Dave!

I made the test and to be honest - I don`t know what to think.

I went to Singen, a town in germany with a dealer specialized in exotic race-cars. I posted the mail-address in one posting before. Yes, it was the blue car with the white interior.

The appearance of the car was great - you know what I mean. I always adored the brutal and out-of-space look of lamborghini and still do.

It`s true what they say about Lamborghini - it is not designed to be used, the driver was obviously not wanted by the designer. This thing is nothing for claustrophobics!! Almost no view in which direction whatsoever, no space and no movement. But the seats fitted like a tailor-made shoe and the whole interior had a quite high-quality feel. Something you definitely miss in a `88 Ferrari!

We had the test-drive at 7 A.M. on the A 81, a freeway from Singen to Stuttgart, which is quite straight and very empty at that time - weather was perfect and conditions were great!

The sound of this car is nothing for little boys. I had some fast and loud cars before, but this is out of the world! Like a jet, man - just like a jet. But do not consider this car to be a daily driver. Parking or ranging is WORK. You don`t see anything and steering this thing is a perfect substitute to a visit in the gym. But hey...

Inside, conversation is possible - as long as the driver isn`t too concentrated to speak. When accelerating, you have several other things in mind, but you don`t want to talk. At least I was way too nervous.

Happiness is a warm Lamborghini, I think I read this statement somewhere in this forum. How true indeed! After reaching working-temperature, this beauty is the ultimate toy. It is fast, it is direct, it is violent and it handles oh so well. Changing lanes was not so much the problem, since I sticked to the left one like I inherited it. The few other drivers on the road didn`t seem to mind, I felt like driving a police-car, that`s how willingly the left line was cleared once I was in sight.

Just like any super-car, it is not very elastic. Accelerating from 60 to 150 kms is not as impressive as I thought it should be. Any Porsche Turbo (or even Lancia Delta Integrale Turbo) can do it better. But going over 300 kms is a bit like going mad. The freeway becomes as narrow as a small path, that M5 appeared to be a standing obstacle, any truck turns to a designated enemy. Man, I wouldn`t want to see this thing under an unconcerned or overstressed driver. You MUST know what you`re doing, once you drive this!!

During the ride I felt save and in control. Something which is not too common in a 14-year old racecar. The 300 kms is something I`d do once a month, but around 220 to 250, I felt totally comfortable.

Would I recommend a test-drive, YES! Would I want to own this? I don`t know. When I got out, I felt mangled. Driving it is definitely no fun, although it`s exciting. But I can imagine that, after the first thrill of owning is gone, it can get tiring and exhausting to trive. It`s not designed for longer trips, just for an occasional ride along the spots of interest in the area. And I`m not sure whether the show-off thing is the only reason to own it. The price is around $75.000, although times are hard and I`m sure there`s plenty of room left for negotiations. But There`s this 2000 Aston Martin, also with 12 cylindres and TERRIBLY beautiful. I`ll see.

Hope I answered your questions.

All the best,

Tobias

DarkZombie
07-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Great description Tobias :)

I've wanted a Countach ever since I can remember and with the prices where they are now, I can afford one :sun: My biggest concern is fitting behind the wheel. I'm 6'6". You mentioned you felt mangled after getting out? Do you think I'd even be able to get in? Unfortunatly the closest exotic dealer to me is about 500 miles away. So I want to do alot of investigation work before locating a car and making the trip.

Thanks.

Donluigi
07-12-2002, 02:02 PM
Hi Zombie,

with 6`6", you should consider getting a tin-opener along with your car. This might REALLY be a problem. I`m 6`1 and I felt boxed! Once inside, it`s okay, but you will lose a lot of admiration-points when trying to get in and out in front of a crowd. Unless you are a member of some chinese circus. And remember: there`s a lot of turning around to do while ranging the car, since the view through the mirrors is a joke.

I was mangled not only by the tiny space, but also by the hard ride the countach offers. Maybe "mangled" ist not the correct term either, since english is not my native language.

My advice: try an Aston Martin DB 7 or Vantage. I start reaching the conclusion that these are way more comfortable, provide almost the same thrill, offer better craftmanship and reliability and just about the same amount of prestige and glamour - maybe even more. And hey - they`re only a few years old. Hope I don`t get killed by the other enthusiasts in this forum - after all, I`m a rookie. And I STILL love the Countach, so I haven`t made up my mind. Someone in this forum called the Countach "the O.G. of supercars" - this is nothing but the truth!

All the best,

Tobias

DaveZ
07-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Tobias,
That was an incredible description - much better than a "Driver review" type done by a professional journelist.

Thanks so much for your impression! I will look forward to my own test drive or 5 hr rental to compare. Maybe the Countach or even a Diablo now!

Regards,
DaveZ

gemballa
07-13-2002, 09:24 PM
i didnt know that driving a countach was soo exhausting!
what did you felt when you steped on the gas pedal?

Donluigi
07-14-2002, 02:20 AM
Acceleration

-FROG-
08-06-2002, 03:38 PM
Great description, Donluigi. I was nodding my head the whole time while you were talking about blind spots and owning the road, lol!
The Countach will deffinately grow on you. When I first got mine(although, it's a replica, it is the best and most accurate replica I have ever seen) I was totally freaking out while trying to drive it home. I mean, I was scared! Especailly with the way people drive here in Austin, Texas. You don't drive these cars for only yourself, you are also driving for everyone else around you. Watching them ALL like a hawk and trying to drive your car at the same time.
You get used to the blind spots, for me, the right rearview mirror is , like you said earlier, "a joke!" but I found a way to move it (it's electric) while attempting a lane change and estemate the other car's next move.
Also, PUNCHING IT helps! See a window for a lane change and , NAIL IT!!!!!!!!
As far as a 6'6 man (Dark Zombie) getting in and out of a Countach.......... Yank out the seats and do some engineering. Do you really need sliders undernieth your seats? you can gain a few inches of headroom if you permanently mount your driver seat where it's most comfortable for you. I am 6 ft, 170lbs. I have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER! And if I did, I would make my ass fit! When you drive a car like this, YOU OWN THE ROAD! Don't get discouraged because it's hard to get in and out. Make a few changes and enjoy your life while you enjoy your car.
The Diablo is an incredible car as well! I never want to get rid of the Countach, but if I did, the Diablo Roadster (with removable top) is deffinately next in line. The Diable seems to be a more "Driver Friendly" car. ..............of course, the Countach IS the O.G.:smoka:

DarkZombie
08-15-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi Frog, Thanks for the encouragement. Removing the rails would give a couple of extra inches in head room but my main concern is leg and shoulder room. Working pedals when your legs are bent at weird angles to fit in and around/under the steering wheel is no fun. As for style points getting in/out Tobias, At 6'6 I don't get style points getting into/out of a C5 Corvette either. So that's not realy a concern. :)

I've decided that the only way to realy know is to locate a car and try it out. So the hunt is on... Hopefully I can locate something relativly close.

BTW Tobias, Did you make a purchase yet? Either Lambo or Aston.

MouseJstr
08-23-2002, 10:26 PM
If you can get under the car...

1) Look for damage to the frame of the car. I've seen some 'modifications' done to cars in the name of 'making it easier to do a clutch job'. Normally, the weld job is the give-away. If it looks like somebody has been cutting/welding on the frame, get a second opinion from a pro...

2) Look at the heat shields near the engine... you can see signs of oil fires on them

3) Turn the wheel lock to lock and look at the wheels and how they relate to the body. better yet, get a friend to do it slowly in a parking lot and make sure you are comfortable with the clearances. I've seen a lot of 'spacers' added to wheels to make them 'cool' that cause problems when just driving around town. Look for leaks on the shocks and break lines...

4) Make sure you like the feel of the clutch and transmission.. How about where the shifter sits on the gates? Easy to get between gears? When just sitting out of gear, is it in the middle? When put into each of the gears, does it have enough travel room? Try various speeds, clutching, reving the engine to the correct speed, and then moving into the matching gear. A lot of syncro's are trashed out there and they are not cheap/easy to repair. Transmission is the weakest part of a lambo

5) Get some engine/oil cleaner and see if it is ok to spray the underside of the car... go for a drive.. and then come back and look for oil...

6) look at the fit of the dashboard... Nice and snug? Kinda loose? Missing screws? Somebody ever take the dash out? Why? Electrical fire?

7) Take the tire out of the front of the car.. pull up the carpet.. pull the tire..look at the exposed frame... any stress fractures? signs of welding?

8) How well does the AC work? All the vents? Just a few? How about the heater?

9) Get the seller to tell you about all the cool 'modifications' done to the car as far as they know.. 'performance enhancements' etc... Look for signs of these 'enhancements'. To be blunt, a stock lambo is a lot easier to fix then a 'fixed up' lambo. What came from the factory is pretty good and it is likely you will end up wanting to undo almost all these 'enhancements'. Most sellers will brag about how they 'fixed up' their cars... Find out WHO did the work and then come back and ask us for comments...

10) Get the seller to take you for a test drive... with HIM driving... see if you can get the seller to drop the clutch and pull away hard at a intersection... See if you can get the seller to do something REALLY stupid and hard on the car... If you can get the seller to do it with you IN the car, you know the seller does it all the time when alone. This probably means the clutch and transmission have some major damage done to them...

11) Look at the screws used to hold the car together... as your crawling around, see how well matched up they are. Are they all similer types for similer functions? I helped work on a 2002 Merci yesterday that had come back from a dealer where they had used random/wrong screws when re-assembling the car after a service... Indicates to me a sloppy half-assed job...

And remember, you never save money buying cheap... if the deal sounds good, it is most likely too good... Before writting that final check, it might be worth the grand or two it would cost to fly out a 'pro' to do a full inspection. I've seen too many $60,000 countach's end up with $30,000 repair bills. EBay is full of people selling their cars post $30,000 repair trying to recover a fraction of their money...If you need names of people who can do this, we can provide..

Expect to pay 70,000 USD for a Good 2V countach.... any less and something is wrong..

--josh "Burned a few times" siegel

-FROG-
08-26-2002, 06:58 PM
MouseJstr, that was some REAL GOOD advise for Lambo research. You mentioned a few times about fires...... are Lambo's prone to catch fire? Sounds like the first modification to any Lambo should be a fire extenguisher.

MouseJstr
08-26-2002, 07:10 PM
In two of the lamborghini repair shops I have had interactions with, the mechanics do not get into a customer car without fire suppression equipment.

I have a extenguisher in my trunk at all times

For example, brand new '99 roadster showed signs of multiple oil based files on the heat shields before hit it 1000 miles. Dealership that did the first service managed to crack the fuel rail but did not notify me.

I probably had 5000 miles on the car before we managed to eliminate all the oil leaks and repair the fuel rail.

Still, I have the extenguisher

I've seen two countach's burned to the ground from engine fires. I've seen several others with massive electrical fires behind the dash.

Morph
08-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Well after driving one for 6 months now and having numerous glorious summer outings in the lambo I have to say buy one as soon as you can.

I use another car for weekly use as Lambos are totally impractical as a day to day car, lets face it they are uneconomical, no boot/trunk space, very small inside (although I am 6 ft & 180 pounds and I dont even have the seat fully back, so depends on your build I suppose), heavy steering, noisy inside, a bitch for long journeys, no rear vision and a clutch that most people on first impression is that their foor is on the brake cause its that hard, plus the pedals are over towards the centre of the car and very close together!

All those things I have listed above would be a pain in the ass on another car, but with the lambo its just part of the experience, or as I like to call it now "Sex-perience", its basically a road legal rockit on wheels, it has the history/nostaligia of being the most longest running top supercare ever (to date!), the looks, the sound and the speed/performance and it does it all so beautifully. What else could you ask for in a car?? Nothing

Viper GTS 96
09-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Donluigi
Someone in this forum called the Countach "the O.G. of supercars" - this is nothing but the truth!

All the best,

Tobias

OK, someone help me out here. What do you mean by the "O.G." of supercars? The only O.G. I know of is the Olympic Garden strip club in Vegas. Is that what you mean by O.G.? :D If so yeah, I was there last year. Lots of hot chicks. :smoka:

-FROG-
09-12-2002, 10:20 AM
O.G..... Origional Gangsta - rap terminology :smoka:
O.G..... Origional Guy - white surburbia terminology

Donluigi
10-13-2002, 12:25 PM
Hi,

haven`t been around for some time, sorry!

The term "O.G." of course means "Original Gangster". It is indeed a term which is borrowed from hip-hop slang. It means basically "the real thing".

All the best,

Tobias

gemballa
10-13-2002, 10:23 PM
donluigi did you bought the countach?
darkzombie did you bough it to?:confused:

gemballa
10-13-2002, 10:25 PM
sorry!
i didnt read the posts!
how is the car?

trocarjoe
04-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Well I too have been an enthusiast and dreamer of a Countach
after searching 5 years for the right one
I settled on a 25th with 35K KMS. It needed a tuneup ($3100.00)
I love the car
drives great and handles perfectly

I have put a lot of special touches in the car (New stereo, new carpet, etc.) I have white/white and love it.
If you take care of the car
use it regularly, It should be fine

I recommend the 25th for you to buy

peter i
05-22-2005, 01:57 PM
to anyone wants to become an owner of countach .....
After you pay up the bil , you better encounter any unusual handling problem of the car
example You need to open the door to get yours parking /high way pass etc + You 'll need to sit on the side when reverse yours countech ...

And the clutch & breaking pader ...damm heavy ...and closer to each other plus it place more to the center ...imagine that

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/508/3253253.74e686.jpg Good luck

good luck..don't forget to post pic for the fans :iceslolan

Scarecrow
05-22-2005, 04:23 PM
At 6' 6" you'll be too tall to get into a Countach and find a position that is anything like comfortable. I'm 6'1" and have about 1/2" spare headroom. My brother is 6'5" and whilst he could get behind the steering wheel, his head was bent to one side, and his knees were around his ears!

As for those who say driving the Countach over long distances is a pain, I did 1100 miles two weekends ago, and loved every minute of it. The only pain I felt was in the wallet department with 10mpg and fuel priced at nearly £4 a gallon!

Add your comment to this topic!