Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low compression 3.3L V-6

rum runner
02-07-2006, 07:47 AM
1992 120,000 miles 3.3L

I have low compression in 2 cylinders. Is this common on these engines? Would the head gasket be the first thing to look at? Do the ring packs get sludged up on these engines? Valve problems?? Engine has had regular up-keep.

Thanks

maxwedge
02-07-2006, 07:57 AM
What are the running symptoms, loosing coolant rough engine, overheating?

rum runner
02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Standing in the front of the motor the first two cylinders on the left side have low readings on compression, in the 50 psi range. All others read 100+.

The engine starts well, runs well except under load, up speed in high gear. Then it seems to miss. It doesn’t seem to loose coolant or overheat. It does have a small miss or putt sound while idling.

Thanks for the reply,
rr

GTP Dad
02-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Check my response in the Grand Am forum but this sounds like a bad head gasket. Of course other problems may exist.

stoned_pimp420
02-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I haven't had a chance to check it out on my new buick, but it sounds like you are describing the EXACT same sound that mine makesat idle and under load, so I think that if one of us figures out the problem then we'll have the answer to both our problems!!!!

stoned_pimp420
02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
INDEED it is, I checked the compression on my 3300 and it has a ack of com. on the front/left two cylinders, so if I can figure out what's wrong with mine I'll post it and you may be able to fix yours!!!!

rum runner
02-09-2006, 05:23 AM
INDEED it is, I checked the compression on my 3300 and it has a lack of compression on the front/left two cylinders, so if I can figure out what's wrong with mine I'll post it and you may be able to fix yours!!!!

So yours is the same two cylinders? Hummm, maybe it's a design flaw. The funny thing is this car is old but has good power, doesn't use any oil or overheat.

rum runner
02-09-2006, 05:24 AM
INDEED it is, I checked the compression on my 3300 and it has a lack of compression on the front/left two cylinders, so if I can figure out what's wrong with mine I'll post it and you may be able to fix yours!!!!

So yours is the same two cylinders? Hummm, maybe it's a design flaw. The funny thing is this car is old but has good power, doesn't use any oil or overheat.

stoned_pimp420
02-09-2006, 09:55 AM
The funny thing is this car is old but has good power, doesn't use any oil or overheat.

Yep the same thing here, my old BLUick (R.I.P.)made the exact same sound except it was far worse and was way underpowered, this century makes a little less noise than the bluick did and has a TON more power than the bluick did, near the end my bluick started sounding almost like a diesel or something if I drove uphills at low RPM the bluick had (i think) 192,xxx when I flipped it and my new century has 197,xxx on it so I don't know I've got a few things I'm wanting to check between the two anyways before the bluick goes to the crusher.

Add your comment to this topic!