Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Olds Cutlass Surpeme..fuel tank issues...

Gemmiegirl
02-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Hi...

I have a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme with 99,840 orignial miles with major rust issues on the fuel tank, fuel neck and possible structure rust.:disappoin :disappoin

My car started to just SHUT OFF..while I was driving. Didnt matter if I was where I was..but esp. did it when I was slowing down, turning a corner etc. I took it to the dealership and for $300 they replaced the "mechnism" that told my car that I was in drive and not suppose to be in park...hope this makes sense.

So now my concern is...do I replace the tank and the fuel neck or just junk the car? If I have the dealership do it they want $800..But said they will put in a tank if I bought it from somewhere else for $300. Does anyone know a company that sells Olds quality tanks?? Do I need a O ring and the neck or do they come with it?

I know this sounds vague but I dont know the techno terms. OH car is in a great condition..very limited body rust on the outside. It spent many years in Maine...hence the rust issues.

thanks
gem :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

rum runner
02-07-2006, 10:02 AM
That is a tough question. Try posting on more than one forum, as gas tank problems are not model specific. The Buick Century and Oldsmobile Cutlass have similar parts, you might try there.

As for me, I wouldn’t keep the car……. unless I really liked it or didn’t have cash to trade. Rust can kill fuel injectors. First thing, replace fuel filter, then start a search online and also at local junkyards for a fuel tank. If you are not good with auto repairs I would not try replacing a fuel tank. Take it to a privately owned shop, not a GM stealership.

GTP Dad
02-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Check the local wrecking yard for a used fuel tank and filler neck. Car-part.com can help you find what you need by pulling up multiple wrecking yards in your area. This should cost much less than $300 for the parts.

I found about 35 of them at Universal Salvage in Evansville for $65 each. You will need to know the engine size but that is about it.

Good Luck and Welcome to AF!!

Add your comment to this topic!