Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RX7 or 3000GT

MKIII87Turbo
02-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I had a 93 Stealth RT/TT up until last week due to it getting totaled by my son. I'm debating over getting another one or getting a 3RD gen RX-7. I read that the RX7 engines are good up to about 60K then have to be rebuild. Also read where maintenance is 8-13K a year. Somehow I don't belive that. What is the strait skinny on this, should I stick with the RTTT/VR4 or try a RX7. Also I am a mechanic and everythig would be done by me except an engine rebuild.

G-man422
02-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I say RX-7, switch it up a bit.

jonjonwells
02-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Whoever told you 60K for a rebuild is a tard. You might need to rebuild the turbos by then, but the engine should run over 200K without a rebuild. The rotary engine will run forever if taken care of correctly. That and the RX just hates to go slow. :grinyes: For really in depth help, you can go to www.rx7club.com and they have a really good 3rd gen section with some really talented people.

FDTT
02-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Well 8-13k in matinence a year on a car that is 11 years or older is about how it goes.
FD's are cars that you cant let a dam thing slip on it. It HAS to run like its just drove off the lot 5 minutes ago.
Oil changes religiously, constant oil checks, best fuel possible, new plugs often, new wires, ect ect. There are alot of mods to the car that should be done before even starting the thing. Things like making the stock temp guage linier or installing aftermarket water temp guage. Ungraded rad as the cooling systems were horiably underbuilt in them.

Baiscly its like tacking on anothere VERY needie girlfriend to the existing one you already have :P
If you want something like that then by all means go right ahead. I have been dealing with the same FD customers for years now (well 3 to be exact) and they are all the same. Perfectioniests with lots to spend.

drftk1d
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM
8-13k maintenance a year? bs.

FDTT
02-08-2006, 03:26 AM
Depends on driving style, kms driven ect ect.

Oil changes every 3 months or 3k= oil+filter= $170x4
Spark plugs changed with oil= more money
Air filters= more money
tranny and diff servicing more

It adds up very quick with a FD.

drftk1d
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
i cant see it being as much as 8k.

and even if you did change your spark plugs with oil each time, its not people drive their rx7 year round

FDTT
02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Dude i service these cars, im the guy everyone around here brings there car to have work done. 8k a year is the average cost of owning an FD. That includes all repairs and such they need.
Think about it

They are getting older, suspensions bushings are going, shocks, springs, fuel system peices, turbos are getting old, ect ect. You cant neglect these cars, when you do you just get one big ass bill for repairs.

Soyo
02-12-2006, 02:29 PM
you can't factor in upgrades into maintenance price though. like if the shocks/springs need replaced and they go eibach/KYB instead of stock then that's quite a large difference, or they could go straight coilovers and your looking at a huge chunk of 8k. or if they put on aftermarket turbos instead of just getting work done on the existing one, etc.

I've never had an FD but I highly doubt most people spend close to 8k. I've had my TII a year now and I've MAYBE spent 8k on it, that's including me paying 4k for it when I bought it and 1600 for the rebuild/port... yes FD's take more work than a TII, and not to be a jerk, but I think your numbers are off a bit

FDTT
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
KYB's are cheaper than stock. LOL

You can think im incorrect, but these are the prices the people who i do work for end up paying each year. Some do sepnd less, but these are the cars that run for 2 month of the year and sit for the rest. If you want this car to drive daily then its going to cost you.

The Swine
02-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm going to have to agree with FDTT on this one. After spending tons of time in the third gen section of www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com) when I was looking to buying one, I realized that maintanence costs of Fd's are way up there. Porsche territory as far as replacing things when they break, even. I wouldn't doubt it one bit at all to see people paying around $8,000 to keep one up and running, and those that don't spend that much probably paid $20,000 for one recently that only has around 60,000 miles on the body, and less than 10,000 on the engine.

808drifter
02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm going to have to agree with FDTT on this one. After spending tons of time in the third gen section of www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com) when I was looking to buying one, I realized that maintanence costs of Fd's are way up there. Porsche territory as far as replacing things when they break, even. I wouldn't doubt it one bit at all to see people paying around $8,000 to keep one up and running, and those that don't spend that much probably paid $20,000 for one recently that only has around 60,000 miles on the body, and less than 10,000 on the engine.

well what if you did all, and i mean ALL, the repair work yourself?

The Swine
02-23-2006, 02:32 PM
well what if you did all, and i mean ALL, the repair work yourself?Then it would be a hell of a lot less. I know one thing though, I most certainly wouldn't be the one who wanted to rebuild the turbos and engine if I paid that much for an eleven to thirteen year old car. If you do most of the work yourself you'd be saving a ton of money. If you want to get a feel for the type of things that go wrong with rx7's then go to www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com) and take a look into the third gen section, and go to the FAQ's. Just about every bit of information on them can be found on there.

808drifter
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
well i already am famlir with rebiulding rotarys (ive rebuilt about 1.5)

FDTT
02-24-2006, 01:52 AM
well i already am famlir with rebiulding rotarys (ive rebuilt about 1.5)

Well you will save yourself alot of monye. But with an FD i would leave the actual engine rebuild to a reputable builder. Then leave the rest for yourself.

808drifter
02-24-2006, 04:13 AM
nah its actually pretty easy once youve dona it a few times (with someone that knows what there doing)

FDTT
02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
So you have rebuilt a 13BT-RE??
If you say no, then its time to have the engine built by a reputable engine builder.
Chances are you have rebuilt 13b's or 12a's but the RE has its own little grimilins, and everythign MUST be perfect or you will be yanking it soon after install.

mehrshadvr4
03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
i say go for 94+ vr4,or you can buy na and put vr4 engine on it if you are a mechanic.

drftk1d
03-11-2006, 08:42 AM
dude 3000gt na's blow worse than vr4s

and swapping to awd is stupid, you can just get a vr4 staright up

FDTT
03-11-2006, 12:04 PM
VR4 gets my vote here.

Add your comment to this topic!