Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supercharger

Asianbrother7
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey I just bought an 87 turbo. I've always wanted to do something differen't to my Z (I've previously owned an 86...wrecked it though). I've been thinkin about supercharging it. I know turbo is more efficient and you can more power from it, but I just want to know if anyone has done it or if there is an faq on it or somethin somewhere. I haven't seen anything on z31.com. So I figured I'd give you guys a shot

xXxRocker5150
02-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Yea someone's done it, and made like 220 RWHP with it and that's it... it also sounded like an R/C car at idle... trust me dude, stick with the turbo... ohh and post some pics ASAP!!!

drumpet15
02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
You're best bet would be a supercharger off the VG33ER found in the Pathfinder, Xterra, and Frontier. I think it's an Eaton or something...but yeah, sticking with the turbo would be WAY easier...although it would be pretty unique if you pulled it off...

DeleriousZ
02-06-2006, 08:36 PM
no...

drumpet15
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
no...
^lol, or you could go that route.

Broke_as_****
02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
You're best bet would be a supercharger off the VG33ER found in the Pathfinder, Xterra, and Frontier. I think it's an Eaton or something...but yeah, sticking with the turbo would be WAY easier...although it would be pretty unique if you pulled it off...

Second, see if you can find one in a junkyard if for no other reason to see how they have it plumbed.

You should be able to use the turbo ECU to run the boost map for the supercharger. Might have to do some tuning on it to adjust for the difference in the power curve.

Asianbrother7
02-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys. I just wanted some input. Yeah the supercharger route is unique and all, but probably not the route I'm going to end up going. I think it'd be cool to have a somewhat unique Z like that, but I'm just not ready to commit to that level of work yet. To broke and to impatient. I'm young with limited funds so until I'm truly ready (financially) to do go all out on my Z I think I'll just stick with basic performance upgrades. Thanks guys

probehtr300
02-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I would just like so say wussup to everyone.
AND also i would like to say that some S/C can be very efficient and can make just as much power as a turbo can. So if you do want to make power but are afraid the s/c cant give it to you dont fret because with lower compression pistons etc.......... etc....... you can hit high Bar with the s/c and youll always have the benifit of the instant power. Just sayin, not tryin to start the turbo vs. s/c debate again. good luck

xXxRocker5150
02-09-2006, 06:48 PM
^I didn't tihnk you'd need lower comp. ratio pistons with a s/c ...

k3smostwanted
02-09-2006, 07:45 PM
^I didn't tihnk you'd need lower comp. ratio pistons with a s/c ...
not any lower than it already is on the turbo model....

there are superchargers out there, that are very efficient. so if you wanted to go this route the option is always there. i am pondering on building a VG30DETT with a supercharger out of my spare N/A engine in the garage. it really should not be that difficult...we will see. if i do make it, i will be making just to say i did it and then sell it. :D

anyone wanting a VG30DER, maybe you can encourage me to do it once my Z32 is running. i really want to do it but i have no use for it...:dunno:

Add your comment to this topic!