Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 pontiac sunbird/looking for location of tcc solenoid

zak52874
02-06-2006, 04:32 PM
a local shop told me that they would simply drop the trans. pan and replace a faulty tcc solenoid valve.(part of my emmission control system)after i've made it to this point,i do not see it at all.any comment on this situation welcome,the repaiir manual says to take it to a shop,this is not an option for me.i really just need to knoew if it is deep internal part or if can be reached,thank you.:banghead:

grfnkl
02-14-2006, 12:32 PM
There is a wire you can unplug to correct the TCC probelm TEMPORARLY, some people have gone thousands of miles without it and other still need to replace the TCC.

The Plug/wire should be on the driverside of the engine trans, towards the front of the car, it will be a square plug that plugs into the trans. Unplug it and you shuold be able to drive the car without the lockup. FYI: you may get a SES light after you hit 40 mph, and you may see a decrease in fuel economy. If you do need to replace it they go for 250.00 labor included, normally Good luck hope this helps

richtazz
02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
The TCC has nothing to do with your emissions system. It controls torque converter lock-up to gain mileage at steady cruise speed. Changing the solenoid requires dropping the transmission side cover, and following the wiring from the harness plug on the outside of the trans to the proper solenoid. You may have to drop the entire engine/trans to be able remove the side cover, as the front sub-frame is too close to get it out. This is NOT a job for a novice.

Add your comment to this topic!