Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Please!!! Car Really Broken

snowboardertom3
02-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok, i have a 1988 MX-6, and its reall broken. It worked fine two days ago, then yesterday it wouldnt start all that easy, and then now, it wont start at all. I have changed the Fuel Pump, the automotive coil, the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, the distributor cap and the thing in it(cant remember the name right now haha) and no luck with anything. If I get any spark, then its too little to do anything. It turns over but doesnt fire at all. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks Bye.

mx3man
02-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Best thing to do is go back to the basics. A motor needs 4 things to run: Spark, Gas, Air and Timing.

Spark - Easy to check, pull one of the spark plug wires and place the end near the strut tower. When you turn the motor over, your should see/hear sparks. If yes then you have spark. If no then it could be disty, wiring, etc.

Gas - Turn the motor over for 3-4 seconds. Pull one of the plugs. It should reak of gas. If not then double check the connections on the fuel rail and check if the fuel pump powers on when you turn the car to accessory. Make sure you are in an area where it is quiet. In my MX3 I needed to pull up the back seat in order to hear it, but when you turn the car to 'ON' (without starting) the fuel pump powers on and it makes a very faint noise.

For timing, in this case just check to see if the timing belt is still there. it could have broken on ya.

tony36
02-28-2006, 01:29 AM
I have the same car, did yours die while it was running? Like the post before, it may be timing belt. The only problem I ever had with mine was I lost the tranny. I was going to fix it but bought the wife a new car. So now I have a yard ornament. Its ashame too, its a turbo with sport suspension, fast as hell, loaded, straight. Any way if you have the overhead cam and lost the timing belt then there is a chance the cam is shot. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!