Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Maintenance

00RodeoLS
02-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Hello everyone. I own a 2000 Rodeo LS 4WD. It now has 96,000 miles and is running like a champ. I have had it for 3 years and bought it with 33,000 miles. I recently had the rear brake pads replaced, still have over 70% left on the front and new Bridgestone Revos. I also had a little problem with the EGR flow, but fixed that with the help of everyone here. I had the 60,000 mile service done at 78,000. Is there anything else I need to do or to look out for? Do i need to change my plugs yet? I use Valvoline Max Life 10W30. Is there anything I can do as well for a little better gas mileage. My in-town gas is horrible, I get aout 200 to a tank if I do all in-town and get 300 all highway. I am going to cleans the PVC here soon. I see the problems some have with their Rodeos on here and want to keep it running the same. Any recommendations on upcoming maintenance that I need to do would be great. Thanks in advance!

amigo-2k
02-05-2006, 09:06 AM
haven't done the plugs yet? yikes! Steel treads going into an alumin block spells trouble, since they can seize. When you do change the plugs make sure you do it on a bone cold engine (read the FAQ's too).

Other things to keep an eye on is changing all the fluids. Tranny fluid every 30-35k, diffy fluid ever 30-35k. power steering fluid ever 30-35k. Flush the brakes every 50k. Antifreeze every 30-35k.

Fluid and filters will give you a long life to your Zu.

As for gas miles (check the FAQ's) you could bump up your tire pressure to 30 psi and if you have never had an alignment done, that may help too.

rodeo02
02-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Definately pull and atleast never-seize and reinstall the sparkplugs. Get that ATF swapped out and I'd do a engine coolant swap as well. 15-20mpg is very typical for a 1998+. Consistant less than 15mpg means something is not right. Once all the maintenance is up to par, the only way to maximize MPG's is rock hard (stock sized) tires, aired up to max press on sidewall. You should keep your tires aired somewhere between the door jamb label specs and tire sidewall specs. Keep a super light foot, and 0w-30 synth. or 5w-30 motor oil. I've even ran 5w-20 for awhile. :uhoh: I rarely get 20mpg with my 2002 3.2L

G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!