Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Terrible grinding noise of doom

ronhl80
02-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I have a 95 Rodeo with the 3.2L V6,

cruising down the interstate today about 65 mph I started hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear end when I accellerated. I pulled off the freeway to investigate further and found that it made the same noise when I was on the throttle and/or turning right, I suspect that my spider gear assembly and/or ring and pinion are going out. Has anyone else experienced problems of this sort and what did it take to repair it? Thanks. :screwy:

rodeo02
02-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I'd get the arse end off the ground & see how the smooth the rear axle rotates. I'd then check the condition of the gear oil in the diff. Rear diff problems a rare to say the least- for an on-road truck anyway. Check your rear brakes for noise as well.

Joel

ronhl80
02-05-2006, 10:40 PM
This afternoon I pulled the cover off of the rear diff. The fluid was real dark and almost felt gritty between my fingers. All the gears all looked good so i just put the cover back on and put some new 80w90 in it. now it works fine, no noises at all. :grinno:

surferfletch
02-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Came on suddenly? Had you gone offroad at all recently? Glad it's fixed!

ronhl80
02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I haven't taken it out off roading recently but last summer I did a few times and after the last time was when I first notices the gears grinding. I didn't hear anything unusual again until about a month ago when it would make noise in certain situations like if I took a hard turn. Last weekend was the first time it started grinding on the freeway.

Add your comment to this topic!