Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Has Anyone Ever Heard of Airfix?

LewisDubya
02-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I want to build an Airfix Aston Martin, but I have no idea what the quality/detail is like on those kits; anyone have any insight? Better/worst than Tamiya or Fujimi?

Thx

freakray
02-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Significantly worse.

You haven't heard of Airfix?
You must not of googled them.

LewisDubya
02-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I've heard of/researched it, but never built it. Has anyone (I've checked out the MGB thread) built one and had any significant problems a newb might run into? Or does anyone else know another alternative if I want to build a classic Aston?

freakray
02-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Aston Martin what?
They have made lots of different models.

Check out modelexpress.net where they have some older AM kits in stock.

blubaja
02-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Welcome to AF! I haven't had 1 Airfix kit actually. Are they as bad as Heller Ray?

freakray
02-04-2006, 06:18 PM
They're a gamble Frank, some are decent enough to make a nice model out of with some work and some should never be placed on the shelf.

Heller & Airfix are like Revell and Monogram.

bhop73
02-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I bought an Airfix tank model once.. never built it and never will. I've seen bootlegs that look like they'd fit together better and be more accurate. It was enough to turn me off from anything from the company.

SteveK2003
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
In many cases, Airfix kits are Heller kits. For example, a lot of the 1/43rd rally kits are sold under both names, depending on where you buy them.

The 1/24 kits are very basic, but like Ray said, they can be built up nice. I bought the '03 Impreza WRC since Tamiya didn't have one out at the time. The body was alright, but the plastic was very thick and heavy. The wheels and tires weren't very good, and the chassis was just a flat plate with some soft details molded to the underside. The interior was not as bad, but not as good. With some attention to the interior and new wheels and tires it could look good.

Raceman
02-04-2006, 08:19 PM
if you want quality then donīt buy Airfix kits,i would say they come under Revell.

hirofkd
02-05-2006, 02:00 AM
You haven't heard of Airfix?
You must not of googled them.
No, it means he isn't as old as you are.:grinyes:
Question like this cracks me up, not because it's bad, but it reminds me how ancient of a modeler I am.:lol:

>LewisDubya
Seriously, Airfix kits will need a lot of work, but it will significantly improve your modeling skills for sure. Just test fit parts frequently and follow the basic parts prep procedures.

cfcrules
02-05-2006, 02:47 AM
Here in the UK, you very rarely see a shop with less airfix kits than any other company. In my area, all model shops sell them, and most of the newsagents. I advise against, however, their latest releases, the wallace and gromit kits, are very good quality.

Hiroboy
02-05-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm also from the UK and when you tell someone your build models, they say "Oh Airfix kits yeah" It is a very well known brand here for Planes, ships etc, I made a few in the mid 1970's as a kid.
But no way near as good as Tamiya and Aoshima for Cars.

mike united
02-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Airfix.......! always think of miltary jet planes or something on those lines, would say at a rough guess, & i mean quality wise.......total shit ! but on the other hand i'd have thought every modeler had heard of them.

Hyperkinetic
02-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Recent Airfix kits are reboxed Heller kits indeed. Probably the same firm (like mentioned before Revell-monogram). In the UK called airfix on the rest of Europe called Heller.

But Airfix also reboxed some of the Gunze Sangyo high tech kits. I believe those were quite nice, but also required some work on the metal parts. I also have the reboxed MPC kit Knight Rider under Airfix brand.

Verminator
02-05-2006, 06:51 AM
:shakehead

I cant believe there is actually anyone that hasnt heard of Airfix even if you don't live in the UK.
Its like saying youve never heard of Frog or Hawk or Hubley.
These were some of the founders of our hobby.
Ok they do keep reboxing 30 year old kits, but their recycled crap is what keeps this hobby alive as kids can throw them together in an hour and move on to the next one.
Their current stuff is a bit hit and miss I admit, but it all comes down to you get what you pay for. Little Johnny cant afford to spend £20-£25 on a kit like some of us.
I have just built Airfix's Wallace and Gromit van and it went together like a dream and produces a great model, it is however aimed at the younger audience and so isn't chock full of interior and chassis detail, but is a damn fine base for anyone to go at.
:) This isn't a rant as such just a note to say beware some old Kits from any manufacturer can be poor, even My Tamiyas early offerings were dodgy.

Hiroboy
02-05-2006, 07:40 AM
:shakehead
Its like saying youve never heard of Frog or Hawk or Hubley.

I have no idea what/who they are ?

lotus_man
02-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Yup, Airfix have been around for ever (now as part of the same group as Heller I beleive, hence the cross over of kits). Used to build loads of Airfix kits back in the day as they were cheap, reasonably easy to build and a good place to start. Wth out them I never would have gotten into this hobby.

proosen
02-05-2006, 09:30 AM
This is an old Airfix and I have seen worse. It's from the early 70's and as for the parts fit it's decent but lacks in detail.
I built this one around '71-'72 the first time and had a blast putting one together again some 35 years later.
It's a bit unfair to compare Airfix with todays top notch manufaturers as many of them is reissues from way back in the dinosaurs era.
I think that most of their recent car kits isn't worth the money as they are scarce in detail and relatively expensive.
Have a look at my SAAB J35 Draken and judge for yourself if it's a good kit or not. I haven't put any effort in to make it a contest winner:lol: but it's pretty decent anyway.
About the Astons I don't know if they are a total waste of money but as already mentioned...they will sure boost your building skills.

Niclas

http://www.mypix.se/visaFullImage.asp?fill=0&id=JQEPPQGPKOMMM&storlek=800
http://www.mypix.se/visaFullImage.asp?fill=0&id=JQEPPQINFQDRQ&storlek=800

RallyRaider
02-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm another who used to build the odd Airfix aircraft kit back in the early '80s, including the Draken above. :) As many have said they used to be synonymous with the hobby, but times have moved on and Airfix quality didn't. Still if you are interested in a particular car and there is no other kit then they can be a good base to work with. I wouldn't mind having a shot at one of their Aston Martin kits myself. Anybody have any tales to tell about the Astons in particular?

carlisimo
02-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Wait wait wait... they're back?

I know of their really old airplane and military ground vehicle kits, but I didn't know they did new stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!