Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97 Bonneville SE heater fan is intermittent...HELP!

dirjone
02-04-2006, 12:25 PM
The heater blower runs when it feels like it. Sometimes it works OK. Sometimes it will not run at all. Sometimes it will come on after I have been driving for some time. It does this in both heat and A/C modes. I have Climate Control with auto and manual modes and does not seem to matter what mode it is in. Manual fan on seems to have no effect nor does raising or lowering the temperature settings. It used to do this very intermittently but it has gotten to a point where I never know from trip to trip if I am going to have heat. Driving in the cold is getting real old. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Also, I need to replace the passenger side mirror....hit the garage door backing our one day. Any secrets or tips on getting the inside door panel off to access the wiring and mounting?

Thanks!!!

richtazz
02-07-2006, 09:05 AM
The blower motor problem is either a bad motor, or bad blower control module. The blower control module is Delco part # 15-8684, and the motor is 15-8542. The door panel removal consists of removing the screws around the interior door pull, then carefully prying loose the plastic retainers that hold the lower part of the panel to the door. Unplug the door switches as you gain access.

dirjone
02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks to richtazz! Since the blower motor seems to work OK when it does come on, would you think it is more likely to be the controller that is not allowing power to the motor at times?

chris2008
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Just to follow up on the above...

I cannot find the 'Control Module AC Delco part # 15-8684'. AC Delco's website doesn't recognize the part nor does AutoZone. Where can I find this part? Also how difficult is it to replace this? I am sure it is somewhere in the deep dark confines of the almighty wire infested dashboard!

supra8aV8
02-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I had the same problem with 97 LSS and the problem was a loose connector. My fan is on the firewall in the center and I removed the electrical plug and cleaned it with wd40 and sand paper and that solved the problem. Hope this helps you.:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!