Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First Speeding Ticket- Need Help?

jcz1987
02-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Well I got my first speeding ticket last night... for doing 80 in a 55 zone... yeah really wreckless of me to do since I was running very late for a swimming copmetition meet for a late night event. But anyways I'm from California. The ticket is an "infraction" but Im not sure about fines or I have to appear at court. Do i get something in the mail about my fine or I have to call the court and see what they have to say? I just need some help. I mwilliung to pay fines and go to traffic school but I do not want to have my licesnse suspended... so I need your input and help out there.

Thanks,

-jcz1987 (Justin)

mike1224
02-04-2006, 09:40 AM
hmmm, In Colorado, on my first ticket they plea bargained it down BEFORE the court date, then sent me their "deal" basically, pay the fine through the mail, and its a done deal. when they did this, it went from 25mph over to 15mph over on my record. I dunno about Cali, but in Colo it stays on your MVR for 3yrs.

mike1224
02-04-2006, 09:42 AM
there won't be a suspended license unless you were evading.... and then, i want to know what you had in your car "yessir thats my weed"

jcz1987
02-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Well all I had was my swimming stuff and some photo equipment. Im a bit narrow mindeed by about the evading part though... what does that mean? I just agrred what the officer was telling me plus he was really rude to me by yelling at me right when I rolled down my window. IM ok now but I was really emotionally numbed up because the officer was being very rude but Im cool with it... as long they do not suspend my liscense...

mike1224
02-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Well all I had was my swimming stuff and some photo equipment. Im a bit narrow mindeed by about the evading part though... what does that mean? I just agrred what the officer was telling me plus he was really rude to me by yelling at me right when I rolled down my window. IM ok now but I was really emotionally numbed up because the officer was being very rude but Im cool with it... as long they do not suspend my liscense...evading is when you try to lose the cops, usually going through neighborhoods at high speeds, (definitely a BIG NO-NO) Going in wrong side/direction. I've always ended up having rude cops pull me over.... one started screaming at me because of my tint. your license is safe. I've had 3 speeding tickets and still have mine. you'll be about $115 poorer if it gets plea bargained.

Samurai75007
02-04-2006, 10:22 AM
My last ticket was 90 in a 55 (funny thing is I was slowing down from 123 trying to find my top speed, when this happened) and all I had to do was pay the $200 fine, though in Texas if its 28 over they don’t let you take the defensive driving test to bring it down or get it off your record and because it wasn’t a year since my last one I wouldn’t have been able to do it anyway. So I have until Aug. to drive good otherwise they will pull my license. Though right now I have a European license plate on my car so we will see how long I can get away with that.

TexasF355F1
02-04-2006, 10:48 AM
My last ticket was 90 in a 55 (funny thing is I was slowing down from 123 trying to find my top speed, when this happened) and all I had to do was pay the $200 fine, though in Texas if its 28 over they don’t let you take the defensive driving test to bring it down or get it off your record and because it wasn’t a year since my last one I wouldn’t have been able to do it anyway. So I have until Aug. to drive good otherwise they will pull my license. Though right now I have a European license plate on my car so we will see how long I can get away with that.
Actually it's over 24mph you can't take defensive driving in Texas.....unless you got connections. :wink:

Got first one in '04 for 95 in a 65, that was actually about to turn to 55 only about 50 ft from where i was pulled over. Anyway, contacted my roomate at the times uncle who is a traffic lawyer and got a connection through him for the county I was pulled over in. He talked to the judge and since it was my first offense they lowered my speed so I could take d.d.

On that note, how in hell do people actually fail d.d.? I mean they give you the damn answers for crying out loud. No one failed in my class, but people actually missed questions.

Samurai75007
02-04-2006, 10:55 AM
ya I was thinking it was ether 24 or 28.

BP2K2Max
02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
On that note, how in hell do people actually fail d.d.? I mean they give you the damn answers for crying out loud. No one failed in my class, but people actually missed questions.

i don't think you can fail. they'll just keep letting you take the test over and over. in my class the lady read the test to us and we answered it as a class. she then handed out the exact same test she just read and let us take it. it was the easiest shit ever.

... Im not sure about fines or I have to appear at court. Do i get something in the mail about my fine or I have to call the court and see what they have to say? I just need some help.

jcz, all you do is mark guilty or not guilty on the back of the ticket and either mail it or bring it to the court house and hand it to the clerk. if you check "not guilty" they'll send you a letter telling you when you're traffic court date is. At court, the cop will call you into an office or corridor if he's willing to plea bargain. if you mark guilty they'll send you a letter saying what your fine is and you send them a check or go pay in person.

MT-2500
02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Look at your copy of the ticket.
There may be some instructions about how to pay the ticket before you go to court.
Also some time a lawyer can take of it for you and/or get a better deal on it like no points off of drivers lisence.
Good Luck MT

KustmAce
02-04-2006, 01:09 PM
emotionally numbed from a cop yelling at you?

lol...dont get into much trouble do ya?

Samurai75007
02-04-2006, 01:51 PM
emotionally numbed from a cop yelling at you?
well it wouldnt feel good unless your into that kinda thing. :screwy:

sameintheend01
02-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Well I got my first speeding ticket last night... for doing 80 in a 55 zone... yeah really wreckless of me to do since I was running very late for a swimming copmetition meet for a late night event. But anyways I'm from California. The ticket is an "infraction" but Im not sure about fines or I have to appear at court. Do i get something in the mail about my fine or I have to call the court and see what they have to say? I just need some help. I mwilliung to pay fines and go to traffic school but I do not want to have my licesnse suspended... so I need your input and help out there.

Thanks,

-jcz1987 (Justin)

it's fine dude. they will send u something in the mail. I got a 90 in a 65 or 55 maybe 5 or 6 years ago on the 101. And remember, you can do traffic school online!

Toksin
02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Meh, a lot of people get scared the first time they get pulled over.

I'd get rubbed up too if a cop just started yelling at me when he pulled me over.

lwpat
02-17-2006, 10:46 PM
You will receive a courtesy notice in about two weeks with the fine and letting you know if you are eligible for traffic school. Most courts in California let you take traffic school online once every 18 months. If you show up for trial and the officer doesn't they have to dismiss. If you have the time it is best to show and then opt for traffic school if the officer appears. Here is a link for more info on california speeding tickets
California Online Traffic School (http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/California-speeding-ticket.html)

Add your comment to this topic!