Leaking axle seal ... Should I buy the Car?

i3bex
02-04-2006, 04:34 AM
I confess that I do not know much about cars, but I am on the process of buying my first one. It is a used 2001 Toyota Celica GT 5 Speed. I got the car inspected by a dealership and learned that the O2 Sensor needs to be replaced and the rear axle seal is leaking.

The good people in the Celica section of this forum have already told me that the O2 Sensor is not a big deal, but no one knew about the axle seal. So I thought this might be a good place to ask. How serious is a leaking axle seal? Is it stupid idea to buythis car? Is this a problem worth signing up for?

I need to decide on this offer very soon. So please point me to the right direction.

i3bex

Chad82
02-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Any newer car could be worth getting if it is discounted enough. I assume you have done your research, how much is this car costing and what would a similar perfect car go for?

i3bex
02-05-2006, 01:20 AM
I would like to think I have done my research. The same car in a perfect condition costs $9,200. One in a good condition costs $8,600 and I have a deal for $7,500. I am still worried about the leaking Axle seal though. May be I should just take the risk and buy it. What do you think?

i3bex

MagicRat
02-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Axle seals are no big deal.

Why not ask the dealsership who did the inspection what they would charge to fix it?

It they are qualified to inspect it, they should be qualified to give you an estimate for repair. Then deduct that cost from your offer for the car.

Add your comment to this topic!