Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to tell if I was ripped off?

russai
02-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi. Admittedly I do not know a lot about cars.
My 1999 Prism was making squealing noise frtom under the hood by the belts. Mechanic heard it and instantly said belts were not the problem, but the compressor was one and my car would eventually stop running. So $500+ for the part and then labor. But still the same noise. So the mechanic first says it due to metal particles coming off against the belt from the new compressor. Then, that it got wet. Then finally that the fanbelt was hot and he didn't notice it before.

Same mechanic doing a test drive with me heard a grinding noise from under the front and said my brakes were shot. He supposedly replaced them but the same noise is there. He now says it is due to a new brand of metallic brakes/pads they use.

HAve I been had?
How to tell if the compressor is really new?

Russ

etc.
02-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Sounds to me you have been taken :(

Every squealing I have came across has turned out to be the belts or the tensioner.

Check your belts to see if their fraying.

Check to see if your belts has about an inch of play. If the belts are too loose or too tight they will squeal.

Take the right size socket and wrench and see if the tensioner has a strong spring feel to it.

highlandlake
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm with ETC. on that one. Sounds like the mechanic used your visa card to diagnose the problem instead of his experience and skill. A compressor could cause squealing, it has happened to me. But it only takes a few minutes to pinpoint the noise. I'd count to a thousand and with a positive attitude go back to the repair shop and have them explain why the problem was the same after the comp. was replaced and could it be possible that they were wrong on the original diagnosis. You probably don't have the old compressor anymore, so you lost any proof that was the bad part and reason for the noise. As hard as it is try to be nice to them otherwise they know you will never go back to that shop again so they have nothing to lose by ignoring your inquiry. It does seem they might have screwed up but you can't prove it and they know it. Just hope that they have a goodwill nature and will agree to credit you some of the cost of the comp. and labor. Good luck, wish we could all go in that shop together and ask them to explain themselves - all 100 people using this forum right now. That would get their attention!

Add your comment to this topic!