Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

only high on heater blower

eeezeegoin76
02-03-2006, 09:08 AM
got a 2002 grand prix GT the first 4 speeds for the heater blower are dead,....high speed is all I got,eather freeze or roast.any ideas on where to start looking ...........thanks

richtazz
02-03-2006, 09:13 AM
you need a blower motor resistor, AC-Delco part number 15-80571. IT is located in the heater box, and you'll have to remove the blower motor to replace it. Not a bad job, just a pain standing on your head, as the blower motor is under the dash, passenger side.

GTP Dad
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Another victim of the dreaded blower motor resistor!!! You would think that GM would move these things out of the duct work or put in a quick change version as often as they seem to fail. I know they redesigned them but the failure rate seems to be quite high!

Prix 2002
02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi I am a new member, I am having the same problem. I drive 2002 prix with a 3.8 engine. My heater only works on hi. I am so glad I came upon this forum. I just wanted to say thanks for the information.

GTP Dad
02-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Prix 2002! This is a great forum for the DIY'er as well as anyone interested in cars in general. There is a lot of experience here so if you have a question don't be afraid to post.

richtazz
02-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Welcome Prix 2002, as GTP Dad stated, the more the merrier. Lots of knowledge and help on here, we welcome your questions and input.

eeezeegoin76
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
you need a blower motor resistor, AC-Delco part number 15-80571. IT is located in the heater box, and you'll have to remove the blower motor to replace it. Not a bad job, just a pain standing on your head, as the blower motor is under the dash, passenger side.
Thanks Buddy,you saved me a lot of time and money,you know your sh__. Thanks again.............

richtazz
02-07-2006, 09:19 AM
you're very welcome eeezee, that's what we're here for.

pontiacinsane
02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
:licka: Thanks to this thread, my husband was able to fix this very problem--and he didn't have to remove the blower motor to do it. He was able to to get in under the glovebox through the access panel (somehow snaked on around the motor) and did the job in under 30 minutes. So cool! Basically he pulled the glovebox light up in the area to see what was what too. (We didn't have a flashlight with batteries that worked). Thanks to the guy that posted the pix showing the old and new resistor as well as where to find the damn thing. Very cool.

troy.s.
02-12-2006, 09:15 PM
ok, thanks from me as well. i had the same prob, thanks for the help.

jdaugherty88
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I am having similar problems, but replacing the reisitor didn't fix them. The blower only runs on high and the headlights go out when the fan speed switch is set from 1 thru 4. If I disconnect the leads that go from the resistor to the blower motor, the lights will remain on thru all switch settings. With the blower motor disconnected, I can hear a click from from the resistor when transitioning from fan speed setting 4 to 5 (high).

Any other recommendations to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Joedwnsouth
07-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I had the same problem....Its your Ignition control switch..... changed it out and all settings work

olopezm
07-09-2013, 06:51 PM
The above suggestion is correct. The ignition switch in your car is bad and is causing such electrical gremilns.

There is a How-to in the tech articles sectino of this forum.

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!