Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

motor swap with tranny

feedthafire
02-02-2006, 09:12 PM
im pulling my motor this weekend and the tranny? i have an 88 turbo 2 5 speed i want to pull the motor and the tranny can it be done with out seperating them? iof so what does it consist of it i mean is it really hard?

badassfocus1101
02-02-2006, 09:20 PM
you could remove the driveshaft and do that all as one piece... hope you have a decent engine hoist. i find it easier to put the car on jack stands about 1-2 foot off the ground and pull the tranny first.

Capt.Moe
02-02-2006, 09:33 PM
I found it easier to pull them together. just less things to disconnect essentially. No Engine hoist needed for me, me and my buddy strong armed the bitch out. Well, now there is no motor in my car or tranny.

badassfocus1101
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
capt moe, u didnt lift the motor and tranny out by hand..sorry man but like the ol time card game ima have to call BULLSHIT on that one man :) me and my buddy struggled like hell just to get the engine alone out of my 7, and were pretty damn big boys...

Capt.Moe
02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
We did so get it, there was no engine hoist involved in the process, we did have a rope though.

It came out with relitive ease.

We and Dwayne are fair sized, but that motor tranny assembly has nothing on a 445 65 R 22.5 Wide base tire mounted on a aluminum rim.

And that's what we play with all day.

Capt.Moe
02-02-2006, 10:57 PM
The block and tranny don't weigh that much really. The tranny is what? 100lbs at most? the block another 200 (short block). Yes it was awkward and when we do it to the other car I'll besure to have a 3rd guy there with a camera so I can get some pictures.

badassfocus1101
02-03-2006, 07:59 PM
We did so get it, there was no engine hoist involved in the process, we did have a rope though.

It came out with relitive ease.

We and Dwayne are fair sized, but that motor tranny assembly has nothing on a 445 65 R 22.5 Wide base tire mounted on a aluminum rim.

And that's what we play with all day.

ook. not callin' ya a liar or anything, but... i'm just saying. it was heavy as fuck. and havin the tranny hanging off the ass end of the motor would make it even worse. the fact that it wasn't a turbo motor helped ya too there a lil bit. not having the turbo hangin off the motor helps with the akwardness a bit.

but still.. a rope ? that's not 100% muscle. we stood in the engine bay and lifted this motor out by hand.... and only hand.

badassfocus1101
02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
sorry ... it was a turbo motor. oh well ... kudos *insert foot in mouth*

feedthafire
02-04-2006, 12:33 PM
this is my first swap any hints or directions or anyhitng helpful would be very appreciative thanks every one

Capt.Moe
02-04-2006, 12:33 PM
no worries man, We are pulling 2 more motors today. The Rope actually made things a little harder. The Rope was mainly used to get it off the motor mounts. That was a pain in the ass. We where standing on the ground. 2 people to get it off the Motor mounts then I slid under the car pushed up and out on the tranny untill we had it at a place in which we could physically grab the thing and yanked it out. Next time the hood is comming off though.

fcdriver
02-04-2006, 04:39 PM
this is my first swap any hints or directions or anyhitng helpful would be very appreciative thanks every one

Use an engine hoist with a moble cradle so you can transfer the weight of the engine and trans from front to back to get it more stable.

Pulling the hood off will give you more room to move around in and you're less likely to bump it while taking them out. If you don't have a smooth surface to put the hoist on then make sure the car isn't pointing up hill so you can push it back if you need to.

feedthafire
02-04-2006, 06:07 PM
ive had the hood off i got my exhaust off because im putting new on it but its all 4 tires are off the ground with jack stand and 2 jacks and i have a cherry picker and its smooth but i really dotn kwno where to start
liek unbolting the tranny or what not i really dont knwo where to jstu dig in it?

sorry about spelling im in a rush

fcdriver
02-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Start with the drive shaft then move to the trans mount then engine mounts.

supermaltese
10-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm doing a swap, just the engine of my 86 to my 88 rx-7, first time, know little about it, the only thing i've done is an 86 olds cutless...can't be too hard, huh? crash course in rx-7 repair. i did find a free fsm at http://208.62.166.66:82/guest/shop_manuals (several manuals not just for 86-88)

drftk1d
10-28-2006, 08:59 AM
im about to drop a japanese turbo motor into my TII, i'll let you know how it goes

Add your comment to this topic!